1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Autocad and video cards

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by roverman, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roverman

roverman Thread Starter

Plan on getting a new computer (preferably with Win2000) and am looking in the range of the following:
    1.8 ghz processor
    min 20 mb hard drive (7200 rpm)
    min 512 mb ram

Main question would be if I had a choice betwen a 32mb nVidia or ATI Rage, what would be the better choice. The machine won't be used for game playing but strickly Autocad 2000.

(Getting a WinXP means I have to get XPPro AND upgrade to 2002 and I don't have the money for all that right now).

Thanks for your help.

Randy

2. brianF

brianF

Awhile a go I did a little research on this subject and it seemed to me the nvidia gforce chipsets worked well with autocad.

3. slipe

slipe

Either will work fine. Both are overkill for AutoCad. My daughter works with AutoCad professionally and her current computer came with on board graphics – I got the computer free for opening an E-Trade account to give you an idea of the quality of the computer.

She had no complaints with a 17” monitor and AutoCad with the onboard video until I gave her my old 20” monitor which went bad and blew the onboard video. I got the cheapest decent PCI video card I could find on the net – I think it was a Voodoo3. She now has a card with several times the RAM that the computers in her design shop had, and AutoCad is all they used there. I get the impression that AutoCad is not terribly video card intensive. I’m not suggesting on-board video, but don’t spend too much for a video card just for AutoCad. 512Mb RAM is also plenty.

4. roverman

roverman Thread Starter

Slipe, thanks for the info. It is a big help. I'll try not to go into overkill with it. Whatever I get that's even near the 1ghz processor will be good for a few years at least.
    I was mostly concerned about the video card/driver, but you and Brian resolved that for me.

thanks.

Randy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice