1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

autocheck.exe not found

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ComputerGeek08, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ComputerGeek08

ComputerGeek08 Thread Starter

Hello, my computer has been operating very slowly lately, and my computer protection software (Defender Pro 5 in 1) detected an apparently infected driver. The notification said that the driver was infected by an email virus and it recommended deleting the driver. Thinking that it couldn't cause much harm, I took the recommendation and deleted the driver. The next time I started my computer, it seemed to boot normally: it showed the normal XP home edition loading screen, then it showed the blue screen of death! The screen said something like "autocheck.exe not found. Skipping autocheck." Then my computer would restart, and it just keeps repeating like that. Can anyone give any advice?

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

Welcome to TSG ...

Can you Boot into Safe Mode

3. fxj10cn

fxj10cn

AUTOCHECK.EXE, which is the Windows NT Server version of CHKDSK, may be deleted by your Defender Pro 5 in 1. So you can boot into safe mode, repaire the autocheck.exe by expand the source file from CD. And then reboot to normal windows.
    After you reboot, I think some another missing-file error will happened. But if you can access into safe mode , you surely can repair you windows.

4. ComputerGeek08

ComputerGeek08 Thread Starter

Well, I appreciate the response. I've tried booting into safe mode, but when I press F8 (or any other button like F1 or F10) the screen just stays black. Here's what happens when I boot my computer: I turn the power on, the monitor shows the blue HP screen, the screen is black for a few seconds. Then the XP home edition loading screen appears. Then the screen seems like it's going to load the log on screen, but the "blue screen of death" appears with the autocheck.exe error (it says autocheck will be skipped), and then the computer restarts itself. If it helps to know, the blue HP screen has been appearing for a while and I've been able to run the computer fine.

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/616176