1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

autochk not found, even though the partition is not hidden

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by cowplopmorris, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cowplopmorris

cowplopmorris Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm sure this has been posted before, but I can't seem to find a solution.

Basically, I have a dual-boot system with WinVista and Ubuntu. I resized the Windows partition, and all the files exist and are accessible from Ubuntu. However when I try to boot, it gives me an error along the lines of "autochk not found - skipping AUTOCHECK", then reboots, and the whole process happens again.

The Windows partition is C: to Windows, /dev/sda4 to Ubuntu and (hd0,3) to GRUB.

I have tried:
    • From the GRUB menu, going into the command line and typing 'unhide (hd0,3)'; it completed successfully, but did not help.
    • Booting from the Vista setup disk, and choosing the repair option. It did say it had fixed a problem with the startup, but this did not solve the issue.
    • Opening the command prompt from the Windows setup disk and running chkdisk /f C:. Nothing of any note, except a few unindexed files.
    • Typing find /media/sda4 -iname "autochk.exe" from Ubuntu. This confirmed that the autochk.exe file did exist.
    • Doing a ClamTK virus scan from Ubuntu. The only real result was:
      Not sure if this is relevant or how to get rid of it.

Any other ideas of what I could try?

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Edit: I can also confirm that the Windows partition has the boot flag on.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice