1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AutoCorrect MSWord 2010 - not working in some docs

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Tacit, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tacit

Tacit Thread Starter

I have been using MS Word 2010 "Home and Student" for 1 year.
    I used MS Word 2003 before that, since 2004.
    I have been using MS Word since about 1997.
    I have been using computer word processors since 1978.

PROBLEM
    Sometimes, with no immediate cause that I can identify,
    in some documents (here let us say, "NoDoc.docx" "NoDoc.docm"),
    my defined speedtype items created by me in AutoCorrect
    (e.g. hcc > healthcare, or, pmm > project manager)
    fail to expand.

Scenario A.
    Usually, I can fix this problem in NoDoc.docx as follows:
    1. save all open fiels and close Word
    2. open Word
    3. open/create a new document (e.g. Doc1.docx)
    4. invoke one of my speedtypes in Doc1.docx by typing, e.g. "hcc" +spacebar
    5. observe that "hcc" expands properly to "healthcare"
    6. re-open the problem document, NoDoc.docx
    7. invoke/test/confirm that AutoCorrect now expands my speed types as defined in NoDoc.docx.
    8. save and close Doc1.docx
    9. use NoDoc.docx as usual with AutoCorrect functioning properly.
    *The same problem may re-appear in NoDoc.docx and be corrected days or weeks or months later.

Scenario B.
    At other times, for particular documents, (e.g. NeverDoc.docx)
    the above Scenario A method does not fix the problem.
    * Correcting MS-loaded items (e.g. "teh" > "the"), AutoCorrect functions properly
    * My defined items do not appear in the AutoCorrect list, if viewed in NeverDoc.docx
    * In other simultaneously open documents (Other.docx), AutoCorrect properly expands my defined items

It may be useful for diagnosis to know that I access documents repeatedly, daily or with longer intermission, for periods sometimes several years.
    My documents are medium length (5 to 100 pp) and complexity (some hanging paragraphs, different fonts.) Today's case (sample below) is an 11 page book review.

I have tried to Copy/Paste the whole content of files with the problem like NeverDoc.docx to a new Doc.docx and renaming. This did not remove the problem; i.e. the problem was copied along with the copied content.

Thank you for any application of your expertise to my problem.

Introductionto the Anniversary Edition (Kenneth R. Andrews) vii-xxiii

xi conceptof the organization as a social system… worked out the awkwardly designated butvital difference between effectivenessand efficiency… incorporatednoneconomic motivation into a theory of incentives… “Authority is the characterof a communication (order) in a formal organization by virtue of which it isaccepted by a contributor or ‘member’ of the organization as governing theaction he contributes; that is as governing or determining what he does or isnot to do so far as the organization is concerned.”

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice