1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Autoexec.bat?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by christyny631, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. christyny631

christyny631 Thread Starter

What is its purpose? I ran msconfig and I have 2 checked boxes(under autoexec.bat tab), but there is jibberish next to them. It looks like some kind of virus code. I cant get windows to start, only in safe mode. What should I do if it has been corrupted by a virus?

2. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) Hello Christy,

First, you would be better off "bumping" you original thread so others can see what is happening. Go into msconfig as instructed in the other post. Under the General tab, click on selective startup then uncheck both the "autoexec.bat" and "Config.sys". Windows 98 generally does not need them to function unless you have some older DOS programs you want to use or older legacy hardware devices like a soundcard.

Click apply then reboot. Hopefully, Windows will load normally. If it does, run a thorough virus scan.

I have to leave for a bit, but someone will step in with more support.

Take care.

Kilowatt

3. christyny631

Okay, I'll try. I am not sure what you mean by "bumping" my other thread, or how to do it so if you could tell me I will do it next time. :)

4. christyny631

Hey, now that worked. I had scandisk ask me to do a surface scan because one or more of my disk drives may have errors on it, which I know I had one sector with bad clusters. I skipped through it, and it loaded windows. Now, I'm off to rescan. I dont understand what happened to my autoexec.bat file, but....I'll do a virus scan with Norton. Thanks for your help. (y)

5. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

;) Glad it worked for you. What I mean by "bumping" is posting a reply in your original thread by typing *bump* or something similar in the reply box. This will move the thread back to the top of the page. :D

6. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

[tsg=welcome] Welcome to TSG! [/tsg]

If you could post the contents of your autoexec.bat file, it would help to diagnose your problem...

7. christyny631

*bump*Okay, so I did a virus scan using the panda site and I had five viruses. They were disinfected, but of course (as my luck would have it) after scanning 120,000 files I got disconnected right as the view report button was displayed. I had to reboot. So, I have no clue where those viruses even were! I used nortons registry tracker which shows the changes made to it since the last snapshot it took. It says my sys config and sys autoexec files were changed by msgsrv32.exe. It was replaced with commands it seems and it says in the changes "This file was created by the system configuration utility as a place holder for your autoexec.bat file. Your actual file has been saved under the name autoexec.tsh. It also says "**do not edit this file **"I dont know what on earth happened, but removing the viruses hasnt taken the jibberish under autoexec.bat tab in msconfig off. What should those 2 boxes say underneath it in the tab? If I rename it, or use the quick restore tool in my norton registry tracker...do you think it will fix it? I am hesitant at this point to use the quickrestore utility now because I dont want a virus back on my computer. If Norton made a backup of the file, is it possible the backup could have a virus attached to it also? Tried this bump thing. I'll see if it worked

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice