1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AutoExec in word from OLE field in Access 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by magadraw, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. magadraw

magadraw Thread Starter

Hi, I have several Word Docs as OLE items in an Access 2000 table. In the application on a form when you double click the field to start editing the word document for a specific field I would like the AutoExec main subroutine to start. I have created a main subroutine in the Normal.dot file and it does not start. It starts fine when you start word outside of the OLE implementation in the Access form, but not within.

Is there any solution to this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Scot Maga
    magadraw

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    What is it that you're trying to fire? Placing it in normal.dot is NOT a good idea, methinks.

3. magadraw

magadraw Thread Starter

I would like fire some specific document formating. Where do you suggest I place it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I don't understand then. It would help if you would say what it is in the formatting. It makes no sense to fire a Word macro to do formatting if the document already exists, see? Why wouldn't the formatting already be done? That's where I'm lost, and it makes me feel like you might not be using the most efficient method for what you're doing. To fire a macro on open, put the code in the Document_Open under ThisDocument IN the Word document. (auto_exec's aren't popular anymore, LOL)

5. magadraw

magadraw Thread Starter

The doc isn't created yet so I can not put anything into the ThisDocument class. I have records in a database that contain OLE word docs. At the initial adding of a record the docs are not created. When I open a doc to create/edit even the auto_exec does not run from the normal.dot (i didn't realize those are not popular anymore).

What I'm trying to accomplish to have some customized pre-set format for these documents when they first get created. There is nothing special about the format. It could be just margin settings and font settings. Is that possible?

Thanks!

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Yep. Use a template. Create the document new from a template. I'm gonna go find that code for ya.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice