Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Automatic Computer Lock Time.

18K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Phantom010 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am running genuine Windows XP, SP3.
My OS gets frequently locked, within 1 minutes of having no activity(mouse or keyboard).

I have checked the Sceensaver timer, but it is of no help.

I want to increase the computer lock timer as per my preference, but do not find this option anywehere.

Is there any registry setting or so, or if it has anything to do with group policy or anything.

I just keep unlocking my PC after no activity for 1 minute, makes it really difficult for me to read any article or e-book.

Please help.

Thank You,
Saurabh.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I have tried all that earlier, the questions is my system doesn't go to sleep hibernate or anything because I have set that time to never.

That is the reason I could not find where to twak to get rid of this issue, this is probably some kind of virus or something if anyone is aware about?

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I have tried all that earlier, the questions is my system doesn't go to sleep hibernate or anything because I have set that time to never.

That is the reason I could not find where to twak to get rid of this issue, this is probably some kind of virus or something if anyone is aware about?
There is malware around that logs you out - download MalwareBytes from http://www.malwarebytes.com and install it. Let it update to the latest version and threats then run the Quick Scan. Let it fix anything it finds then restart the computer. Run the Full Scan and do the same then after that restart, go back in and click the Logs tab. Post both the logs back so we can see what it got rid of and perhaps guess at what it didn't.

#6 ·
If you have XP Pro,

Click on Start > Run > type gpedit.msc

See if the settings have been modified under the following:

User Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Control Panel\ Display\ Screen Saver timeout

User Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Control Panel\ Display\ Password protect the screen saver

#7 ·
You can also disable the Lock Workstation function using the registry.

Click on Start > Run > type regedit

Go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

In the right-hand pane, create a new DWORD value named DisableLockWorkstation and give it one of these values:

1 - Disable Lock Workstation
0 - Enable Lock Workstation

#9 ·
My money is on this perishing nuisance, Internet Security 2010 - I've got one on the bench at the moment. If the OP right clicks the Taskbar and Task manager is greyed, that's the first sign. The thing even runs in Safe Mode although it doesn't log the Administrator out so there's a fighting chance of getting rid of it.

#10 ·
My money is on this perishing nuisance, Internet Security 2010 - I've got one on the bench at the moment. If the OP right clicks the Taskbar and Task manager is greyed, that's the first sign. The thing even runs in Safe Mode although it doesn't log the Administrator out so there's a fighting chance of getting rid of it.
The OP seems to have enabled and configured a lock time for himself. So, we might not be dealing with malware at all.
I want to increase the computer lock timer as per my preference, but do not find this option anywehere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.