1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Automatic Computer Shut down

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Floridaguy, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floridaguy

Floridaguy Guest Thread Starter

After I log off my PC, it doesn't automatically shut down as it did in the past. I now have to physically push the power on-off power switch to turn off the system.

Does anyone know of a "fix" to this problem?

Thanks

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. Floridaguy

Floridaguy Guest Thread Starter

Thank you for your thorough thesis on what could be causing my system to not shut down automatically and power off. I neglected to tell you that my system would get to the point that I receive the "It's Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer" at which point I have to physically power off the computer.
    I tried the "POWER OPTION PROPERTIES" option and checked the "Enable Advance Power Management Support" box and proceed to shut down my computer. When it got the "It's Now safe....." message the computer started up again. I tried it a few times and the same thing happened each time.
    I tried the second option to navigate to the registry key to Winlogon and set the value of PowerDownAfterShutdown to 1. In my system it was set at "0". After asking myself if it was worth taking a chance to change the value, I decided against it because I don't think that I am proficient enough to work through the HAL support.
    So, I guess that I'll live with having to power off my computer after shutdown.

Again, I want to thank you for your assistance and, believe it or not, I've learned quite a bit from your reply.

Floridaguy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/453415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice