1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Automatic downloading from internet

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Maheshk108, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maheshk108

Maheshk108 Thread Starter

I whenever i on my internet dongle using Airtel sim it unwantedly shows downloads speeds up to 300 kbps to 1.04 mbps. Why this happens?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you asking about the download speeds being what they are or are you asking about why downloads are occurring?

In the first case, what kind of speeds are supposed to come with your service?

In the second case, Windows or some other application, like Adobe Shockwave or Flashplayer or your anti-virus software could be set to automatically download and install updates as a background operation.

3. Maheshk108

Thanks for your valuable reply.
    Now as mentioned as second case, How can i know other applications or Windows are automatically installing updates. there may are many application installed on my system. As per my knowledge my Antivirus is not enabled for automatic updates. I wont update the Windows also. So how can i check which application is automatically downloading? Moreover if there is any application automatically downloading then after automatically downloading it must show notifications as updated. No applications or Windows shoe that show that it is updated. So how to check??

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I don't know if there is any way to track down all specific programs are set to download updates, when they are not actively loading an update.

There is a way to determine your current network usage. Opening the Windows 7 Resource Monitor and clicking the Network tab. It will show what processes have network traffic. If you see any svchost.exe entries, you will need to look up the associated PID (Process Identification) to figure out the actual process that is using svchost.

5. Maheshk108

I went through my Kapersky antivirus help in that Host process for windows servi.. in network analysis section is showing lots of incoming and outgoing data. So what do do next??

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am not all familiar with Kaspersky software. If you meant "Host Process for Windows Services", which runs as svchost.exe, then I suspect you need to find out if each instance that is running is the genuine Microsoft svchost.exe executable and not some virus or malware that uses that same file name. I would suspect that any decent anti-virus software would identify such an attack and kill off the bogus schost.exe programs. The authentic svchost.exe file is located in your C:\Windows\System32 sub-directory.

There may be more than one instance of svchost running on your computer. You would need to determine which particular instance of svchost is generating the network traffic and find out which program is using it.

EDIT: As mentioned in my first reply, you can use Windows Resource Monitor to determine which programs are generating the network traffic. In the case of svchost, it will show the PID of the process that is calling that particular instance. Once you know the PID(s), you can open a command line screen and run a TASKLIST /SVC command. Then look for the svchost entries with the matching PID(s). The services will be listed.

7. Maheshk108

I saw there is only one svchost.exe in c:\windows\System32 folder.

Next in same System32 folder there is one more some folder something like .us named in that it showed svchost.exe in crtl+f option, after that i added this to index search. After that i am not able to find this one more svchost.exe.

I don't know whether my windows 7 is genuine or not? Because when i purchased i was not having much knowledge of it. If right clicked my computer->Properties->
    In the bottom right side the logo shows
    Ask for genunine window
    on the left side it is showing
    Product id:---
    Windows is activated.

Now whether my windows 7 is gunine?

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Even though a fraudulent version of svchost.exe may be the cause of your unexpected download traffic, you probably should start a new topic about finding a second svchost.exe file on your HDD in our Security& HJT -> General Security forum.

You should definitely start a new topic in our Operating Systems -> Windows 7 forum for this concern.

Does your computer case have a Windows Certificate of Authenticity sticker attached to it?
    [​IMG]

9. Maheshk108

K i will come after some time since i have my project deadline date coming closer. But this is new experience i was newer expecting such a cooperation. Thanks very much for help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1126618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice