1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Automatic Internet connection when computer restarts....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by liviococcia, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. liviococcia

liviococcia Thread Starter

Hello Members

I have installed LogMeIn on my sisters computer, it's a Windows 2000 pro OS, when i do any sort of routine MS updates, or general maintenance on the computer remotely sometimes a restart is in order to complete the installtions.

The problem is that once i have restarted her computer remotely from LogMeIn, i can't connect to her computer remotely, as an internet connection is made only when she puts in her Windows 2000 username and password when physically infront of her computer.

Is there a way to get her computer to establish an internet connection when restarted, without having to log into the computer.

Her modem is a BT voyager ADSL, and it's connected via USB, i have set the modem username and password to be remembered, and in IE within 'options' and then 'Connection' tab, i have set it to 'Auto Dial using my default connection', but this has not
    instructed the operating system to establish a internet connection prior to actually loggin into the windows desktop.

Your help would be very grateful.

Kind regards

Livio

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since the following is a Windows 2k type thing that can be done in XP I think it will work the same way in Win 2k. Using it to automatically log in to the system along with running something to automatically connect to the DSL should accomplish your goal.

Auto Logon

To enable Autologon in Windows XP
    1. Click Start, Run and enter "control userpasswords2" to open the Windows 2000-style User Accounts application.

2. On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer check box and then click OK.

3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you start your computer

3. liviococcia

Thanks TerryNet, i'll give it a go see if this works, my only worry was that the number of uses by default are 'Administrator', 'Jane'(primary installed user) and the 'Guest' account, i then added myself (livio)

When i do your suggestion, will the system know that the 'Jane' account is the only
    one that should auto login, and also when windows 2000 restarts, will it always restart with the 'jane' account.

regards, and thank again

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If that's what is specified.

5. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

And put an internet shortcut to logmein in the start /programs / startup folder

6. liviococcia

Thanks for all your help, i will do everything advised to me tomorrow morning, when i'm next round my sisters, and report back

thanks alot
    regards

7. liviococcia

Hello Members, thanks for your help, i found i had to use 'control userpasswords' for Win 2000 pro, then put a check into the 'Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer ' then highlight the users name, then go back and uncheck 'Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer', click
    apply and re-input that users password, restarted the computer which booted straight into the users desktop.

The only thing i'm unsure about is where the shortcut link from the 'LogMeIn' icon in the systray to the net.

Kind regards

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/771928

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice