1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

automatic power off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deathdealer, Oct 15, 2003.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest Thread Starter

does anyone know how to make your computer come off automatically in windows xp? it works in win98 but not winxp
    when i go shutdown it would just say its safe to turn off computer
    is there way to make it shut off instead of showing that screen
    so i wouldnt have to turn it off myself

2. stod73

stod73

Check your bios

3. rmay635703

rmay635703

Unfortunately you many times have to *arg* reinstall windows to fix that.

Step one change the bios setting in power management to
    ACPI ?? or
    ACPI + API
    then save and reboot, then see if windows XP will power down on its own, usually it won't but after a reinstall it will almost always.

Cheers

4. Deathdealer

ty i will try 2morrow to see if it works

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Problem: Computer stops at "It is now safe to turn off your computer", or words to that effect, instead of turning off the computer automatically.

I search the Windows Registry for the word PowerDownAfterShutDown and change its value from 0 to 1.

Enable Advanced Power Management support under Power Management in Control Panel.

Also, be sure power management settings are correct in BIOS.

Personally, I have never had to reinstall Windows to correct this problem--and I've had to correct this problem on at least 50 machines (very conservative guess).

7. Deathdealer

i cant seem to find anything that Alex Ethridge said in registry or in control panel or in bios...

8. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

PowerDownAfterShutdown is all with no spaces. If you miss one character, you won't find it.

I took XP off all my machines so I can't tell you its exact location in the registry.

Perhaps someone will come along and detail each click to enable Advanced Power Management Support in XP's Control Panel. It's there; you've just gotta' search for it.

9. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

In Windows 2000, it is at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/Current Version/Winlogon/PowerDownAfterShutdown

Probably the same for XP.

Do you know how to use the Find feature in the Registry? (Edit> Find)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice