1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Automatic re-position to top of file list

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Deuxdad, Feb 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deuxdad

Deuxdad Thread Starter

I'm in the process of renaming about 13K photos using an AutoHotKey script to speed things up. I'm using the OS (Win 10 Home) to display the pics: START>THIS PC>SPARE DRIVE D then double-click on the folder containing the pics. I have File Explorer (in full screen) displaying 16 pics (files) as EXTRA LARGE ICONS.

I select the first file to rename then start the AHK script. The script issues an F2 keypress (rename), outputs a string which I then add to and press RETURN. The script then causes a jump (right arrow) to the next file and start the process all over again. I can continue doing this for several screen refills. As each bottom row of files is renamed, all the files on screen move up one row to access the next row of files.

With an annoying frequency, without any keys pressed either by me or the script, I'm suddenly looking at the top of the file list; the first 16 files I've already renamed. Focus is still on the file selected when this happens but it's now off-screen and the script is locked up.

Lest you think the script has anything to do with this, as an experiment I've started File Explorer, moved down several screens worth of files and then walked away for a while without starting the script. When I come back, I find that I'm once again looking at the top of the file list.

UPDATE: It occurred to me that even though I wasn't using that part of the script in the above experiment, the entire script was always running waiting for me to press any of the 2 or 3 hot key combinations contained in the script so.... I used TASK MANAGER to kill AutoHotKey. Then with AutoHotKey no longer running at all, I used File Explorer to display the files I was working on and scrolled down to the first of the files I had not yet renamed and started a stopwatch. Sure enough, after about 4 minutes 35 seconds, without touching the computer, I was popped back to the top of the file list again. I tried this experiment a total of five times. Sometimes I would scroll down to the last file I had renamed, sometimes down to the middle of the list, sometimes down to the bottom of the file list; each time in about four and a half minutes I would be popped back to the top of the file list.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3225 CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3781 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1949 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (68 GB Free); D: 232 GB (184 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., H61M-A/USB3
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try File Explorer > View > Details, and see if to automatic scrolling is happening.

3. Deuxdad

Deuxdad Thread Starter

If I go to File Explorer > View > Details it shows the files in detail form (file names, date, type etc.) but nowhere do I see any reference to automatic scrolling. Besides I wouldn't think there would be a setting for "automatic scrolling" where each scroll would be 4.5 minutes apart. Thanks.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Yes, there is no such setting. But I want to see if it auto-scrolls in Details view or not.

5. Deuxdad

Deuxdad Thread Starter

Ah, my apologies. I mis-understood what you were asking/suggesting. The answer is YES! I switched to DETAILS view, scrolled to about the middle of the list (about 250 in the list) and just waited. Sure enough, after about 4.5 minutes the view had changed to the top of the list.

I'm going to try this experiment in safe mode if possible. Maybe something other than the OS is causing it. Many thanks for your help.

6. Deuxdad

Deuxdad Thread Starter

Problem solved. By starting in SAFE MODE and allowing only Windows utilities to load I found that the problem went away. Then by selectively allowing my programs to load at bootup I was able to determine that it was Johns Background Switcher causing the problem. JBS is a program I've had running on my machine for years and never had a problem but.... I've never before tried to rename 13K files either. I found that if I let JBS load as normal I can kill from the TASK BAR before I do any renaming the restart it when I'm done renaming for the day.

So, my sincere thanks to you lunarlander. I couldn't have done it without your guidance.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice