1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Automatic Restart on Boot Unless I choose "Disable Automatic Restart",,,,

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sbdblyss, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbdblyss

sbdblyss Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I have searched around a bit to see if others have ran into this problem, but I have had no luck so far. When I start my computer, it pops up with the standard menu it uses when an OS error has caused a restart. I can't get it too load windows using safe mode, last known good configuration, or normal mode. I never even see the windows loading screen, it restarts immediately.

Here is what I have tried:
    1) I ran a check disk using the recovery console but it did not fix the problem.
    2) I manually backed up the SYSTEM, SAM, DEFAULT, SECURITY, and SOFTWARE files from the root\windows\system32\config folder. I then replaced those files with ones from a few days ago located in the root\system volume information\ folder. It did not fix my problem.
    3) I'm about to re-install windows when I decide to press f8 on boot and disable automatic restarts on system failure just to see if I'm missing some sort of BSOD. Windows completely loaded without any problems.
    4) This confused me so I reversed the actions I took in step 2 (above) just to see whether it would boot with the original files as long as I chose "Disable Automatic Restarts on System Failure." It loaded windows without a problem.
    5) I restarted to see whether it would boot normally or not. Again, it wouldn't load windows with any options other than the "Disable automatic restarts on system failure" option.

At this point, I'm pretty confused. Could the OS be mistaking an error and automatically restarting for no reason? That is the only logical reason I can think of as to why windows will load only when using the disable automatic restarts option. I have never ran across such a crazy thing. Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Jake :eek:

EDIT: The OS: Windows XP Pro SP3

2. sbdblyss

sbdblyss Thread Starter

Any ideas? I can just re-install, but I want to figure this out. It seems so odd to me. Thanks!

Jake

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/852138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice