1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

automatic restart?

Discussion in 'Games' started by williamorc, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. williamorc

williamorc Thread Starter

well today i got oblivion for my pc and was ver excited to play it. So i go through the task of making a char and just when i thnk i am ready to play i press go, look the the left side ofthe jail and BAM my computer decided to retart itsef, it also does this with another game half life 2:lost coats, it just retsrats itself, i have no idea what the problem is maybe you guys can shed some llught on my situation thaks!!!

2. iLLegaL89

iLLegaL89

video card drivers maybe ? :S

3. williamorc

well ill try updating them but i dunno

4. S132

S132

Well if updating video drivers do not work, what is your graphics card? your sig says 256MB vid card, so if you don't know its make or model, then hit start>run and type DXDIAG, then hit video.

Alot of reasons why it might be restarting your computer, its generic, it could be the gfx card overheating or the cpu, hard to say.

Or your RAM may be not quite enough, it is enough I have Oblivion and 1GB RAM, but still get slight laggyness in the forest etc, but thats because I only have 700MB free, Windows + Security and other programs use it, so check your RAM usage on the task manager (CTRL + ALT + DEL), if your low on RAM monitor your services being used, a way to check what it being used, and what you do not want on start up etc, is go to start>run and type msconfig and hit startup, if you do not know what a certain process is, then google it or (http://www.processlibrary.com/).

Other method to recover or defrag RAM, is download System Mechanic (www.iolo.com) download trial, its a good program, also defrag (system tools) and disc clean up (properties of C: or D:).

5. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

You can disable the auto reboot.. It may just close the game, or you'll get a BSOD.. (Blue Screen Of Death)
    That can often point to the cause..

To disable auto reboot.. (Win XP)
    Go to; Start
    Control Panel
    System
    Advanced tab
    Start-up and recovery settings
    Under system failure there is a check box for "Automatically restart".
    Uncheck it and OK/Apply your way out.. (You may need to reboot for it to take, not sure.)

6. williamorc

well i thank you all for the replyies, i have no idea if it is due to verheating but it shouldn't because my computer has a big fan in it, and then other fans, the model number of my video card is: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 turbocache. Thats exactly what it is, its a pci-e card (if that makes any difference) and i have 1 gb of ram, i have done multiple seraches of my process using msconfig, i have narrowed alot of it down, there is the maditory stuff, but yea i am gonna try taking off automatic restart, could it in anyway damage anything in my comp?

7. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Hmm, no, but you can also turn off "Write Chaching"...
    How to;

Start
    My Computer
    Right click on your hard drive...
    Select "propeties"
    Under the "Hardware" tab..
    Select your hard drive (s) and hit "properties".
    New window, click the "policies" tab...
    At the bottom, is a check box for "Write Caching"..
    Read about it and uncheck it...

That will save your hard drive.. (y)
    If you have two hard drives do it for both.

Attached Files:

8. the_iconster

the_iconster

williamorc,
    it sounds like you have a very similar system to me (same gfx card, same ram, better processor even), and i run oblivion fine (well a little bit of lag, but i consider it fine). I had the same problem and updating the gfx drivers solved it. If it doesn't work for you I'd say it's a cooling problem. Also try closing any unnecessary processes when you play.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/461334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice