1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Automatic Restarts (due to power supply?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HydraNL, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HydraNL

HydraNL Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have searched some other posts but couln't find an exact match. My problem is the following: My computer restarts at random moments. After the first time on a day the intervals become shorter between each automatic restart. I have had this problem for quite a while but it happened more often lately. All of this was pointing to overheating, so I downloaded Speedfan to check for temperatures. The temperatures were quite low (but maybe incorrect, there even was a -2C out there), but I didn't trust them completely. Knowing the cooling paste was quite old I added new (after removing the old) to my processor unit.

This didn't help at all. The temperature seems to be lower at speedfan but the restarting happened even more often.

My other guess is that my power supply unit might be broken.
    Speedfan shows some weird values, but again looking on the internet there are a lot of sources telling me not to trust them. So I went in to my BIOS, there all values were shown as 'OK'. I tried asking some friends if they could lend me a power supply unit to test this, but noone has a spare one... Before spending my money on a new unit are there other things I should try to determine the problem or rule other things out?

Thanks in advance,
    R

My specs are:
    This is a DESKTOP
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2046 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 20000 MB, Free - 6897 MB; D: Total - 285234 MB, Free - 9765 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., P35-DS3
    Antivirus: Panda Cloud Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Speedfan:
    [​IMG]

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Something happened to mine this week that took quite a while to track down because I had never seen it before. The fan in the PSU had almost stopped turning. It turned enough so that it looked OK, but the PSU was overheating and leading to restarts.

I went through pretty much the same steps you did until I suspected that fan. Since it was a small-form-factor case, I didn' really want to remove the PSU, so I attached a small, 12 volt, "helper fan" to the front of the PSU and the problem was solved.

It may be unlikely but something to check. I used a small hand fan to blow air into the PSU and it didn't shut down, so then I knew that was the problem.

In any case, it does sound like it may be your PSU. Feel it. Mine felt too hot, too.

3. HydraNL

HydraNL Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestion Elvandil. But... my PSU doesn't feel hot at all. Also the fan looks great. Does one of Speedfan temparetures correspond to the PSU (or shouldn't I trust speedfan at all)?

I can try and buy a table fan and place it at the back of my computer (or tape a hand fan to it), the restart can take as long as 2 hours, so it's quite difficult to test. Do you still suggest this?

Is there a chance this is a software problem?

If it's any help I got an X-gear ATX-400W PSU.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Try this

Download and install hwmonitor
    and see what the temps etc are. Download the 1.18 setup, english on the righthand side.
    ....take a reading when not running the game or programs CPU(core) and GPU Video card and post them. (Just a screenshot of results is fine)

Then run the game or any other intensive program for awhile and take another reading post the results

5. HydraNL

HydraNL Thread Starter

Hi Megabite,

I downloaded CPUID and it shows other volt values then Speedfan does (and the one CPUID gives seem okay, making me think it might not be the PSU). Als I took screenshots on idle, running Starcraft 2 and doing a CPU stresstest (with the program Burnin).

[​IMG]

50 degrees is still far from high right...

Some other information:
    My computer can work for maybe a whole day and everything seems fine. But then all of a sudden the restarting begins. At an Idle moment... or when running heavy programs. At a startup or in the middle of an 8 hour session playing music. I can't figure out any pattern, except that when it starts restarting the intervals become shorter (untill I leave it alone for a night or so.). Often when it just restarted, it will do it again in the startup. After leaving it alone for 5 min it will work again, sometimes for the whole day, sometimes just for an hour.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Have you checked the Gigabyte site to see if there may be a BIOS update that addresses this issue?

7. HydraNL

HydraNL Thread Starter

Deducing from the CPUID program I have an Gigabyte P35-DS3

This site concidering BIOS updates for this motherboard says nothing about restarting issues...
    http://www.gigabyte.co.nl/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2627&dl=1#bios

(Or I'm reading it wrong?)

Also I'm a bit unsure which motherboard I precisely have. Gigabyte shows a list of all different Gigabyte P35-DS3 versions (still none of them seem to have a specific update concerning this)

8. Megabite

Megabite

Well the only thing I see is your CPU does jump up in temp quite a lot.....your video card temp seems fine......

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

No, I don't suggest it any more.

Why not go to C:\Windows\minidump and zip up any memory dumps you have there. Attach them to your post for analysis. It's time to look at the software side, I guess.

(And, no, you can't trust programs that read sensors completely. Some work better than others on some boards, while some even read the wrong sensors. Use them cautiously and don't make any important decisions based on those alone.)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice