1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Automatic System Shudown Service wanted

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chptech1, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chptech1

chptech1 Thread Starter

I am a student technician at Central Michigan University, and I'm trying to develop a script to run via group policy or run as a service on our windows XP machines to shut them down at a specific time. My building has two labs of 40+ computers. These systems are on 24x7. I was wondering if there is any way to have these systems shutdown at a specific time? Thanks for all your help!

Jeff (y)

2. Claymore

Claymore

I know you can get a machine to shutdown this way:

Locate the file shutdown.exe in the Windows/System32 folder.
    Right-click and send a shortcut to the desktop, or wherever you want to store it..
    Right-click on the shortcut and edit the Target field to add the switch -s at the end, as in:
    C:\Windows\System32\shutdown -s
    Note the space before the -s switch
    Set up this shortcut as a Scheduled Task, making sure the the Scheduled Tasks service is set at Automatic and Started.

You can also run this command from the command line:

shutdown.exe -s

You can also add the switch –t xx (where xx is a number of seconds) so that the popup window will display a warning and count down the number of seconds you set before shutting down. You can also add a comment to be displayed by adding the switch -c "Insert your message here". You could do this to give users a warning that the system will shut down in, say, 2 minutes (120 seconds).

You could also set all this up in a batch file to run at the specified time in Task Scheduler. See the command line above, where you would include the full path, and any switches you want to add.

Hope this gives you a start.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!