1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Automatic updates - configure single user use only?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vookster82, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vookster82

vookster82 Thread Starter

Hi, i was wondering if there is a way to have the automatic updates to prompt only one user account for download and install.

I have the updates set for download only, and im looking for a way to make it so only I can install them and avoid all other users including those that have admin right from installing.

Some computers need the employee to be an admin, but i dont want them to see or be able to install updates. I just want my admin account to be able to do so.

I found the non-administrator notification setting and the shutdown notification option in gpedit.misc which will work for those workstations with no other admin. But was hoping i could configure my options a bit more and be selective by user.

Any ideas, thanks for reading

2. vookster82

3. reynoldsju

reynoldsju

Probably the best way to handle this is to disable updates altogether on the other accounts except the Administrator. Here is what I would do. For the following example, WORKSTATION is the user that we do not want to be able to update, ADMINISTATOR is the built-in admin account in Windows XP

Start --> Run --> lusrmgr.msc (Local Users and Groups Management)

Double-click on the user that I do not want to be able to update.

Select "Member Of" tab
    If the group "Administrators" is not listed, you need to add it. Do so by clicking "Add" and type "Administrators" in the bottom box and hit OK.

Close Local Users and Groups Management

Log off ADMINISTATOR

Start --> Run --> gpedit.msc (Group Policy Editor)
    User Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Windows Updates

Enable "Remove Access to all Windows Update Features"

Close Group Policy Editor

Log off WORKSTATION

Open lusrmgr.msc again and remove the Administrators group from WORKSTATION

Reboot

Hope that helps

4. vookster82

seems logical enough, ill test it soon and see how it goes. Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/578174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice