1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

automatic updates not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tindo, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tindo

tindo Thread Starter

hi there. my windows xp (sp2) automatic updates is not working and none of the remedies suggested on the microsoft site have worked. whatever i try, they remain disabled. is there any way this important feature can be fixed? thanks.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Open Internet Explorer, click Tools - Windows Updates, allow the update site to load, then run a scan.

Does the scan complete and bring up a list of updates to install?

(Personally, I don't keep Automatic Updates set to automatically download and install updates. I keep it set to notify me only. I like to know what updates are available and then decide which ones get installed.)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Can you post a HijackThis log here? It might show something that's causing the problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you come up clean on virus and spyware, I have fixed this issue with installing Sp3 believe it or not!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice