1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

automatic updates....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by enahj, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. enahj

enahj Thread Starter

hi...just wanna ask if i should turn "automatic updates" ON or choose "download but ask when to install" instead.... there are several updates already but i don't know which should i download and necessary because before got that "nagware" of Microsoft's genuine advantage notification blah blah..which i got rid of fortunately..

Im running/using Windows XP SP2 just to inform you...

-windows XP Service Pack 3
    -windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
    -update for the 2007 Microsoft office system
    -update for office 2007
    -update for office 2003
    -security update for windows XP with Media Format Runtime 9.5
    -security update for windows XP with Media Format Runtime 9.5 and 11
    -security update for windows XP
    -security update for the 2007 Microsoft office system
    -security update for 2007 Microsoft office system
    -security update for Microsoft Office Word 2007
    -security update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007
    -security update for Microsoft Office Publisher 2007

Others are for MS outlook, office for SP1 and SP3 which i think i don't need
    or unnecessary for my system. (correct me if i'm wrong)

which of those above are necessary for my system? so i can download and update my system if necessary...

thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Personally, I keep it set to notify me of updates and not to download and install them. When I get a gold shield alert in the taskbar that there's new updates, I open Internet Explorer, click Tools - Windows Updates, do a "custom" scan, then select the updates that I want to download and install.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming that you have one of the Microsoft Office versions(2000, XP, 2003, 2007) installed, and that you have Windows Media Player 11 installed. If you do, all the updates you have listed should be installed.

The Malicious Software Removal Tool update normally is released every month, so install it too.

Don't download and install the SP3 upgrade yet. It should be downloaded and installed by itself.

You want to make sure to turn off or disable your antivirus program before downloading and installing it.

If your computer has an AMD processor and not an Intel processor, I would advise against installing it. As long as your computer has SP2 installed and you've installed all the post-SP2 critical updates, it's not mandatory that you install it.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's what I do, too. You can then look through them and decide when to install.

This was even more critical on dialup because I didn't want anything downloading when I was trying to use the internet.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Yikes, dial-up! :eek:

Have you ever had 6 - 8 critical updates waiting to be downloaded and installed on "Update Tuesday"? You might as well start the download process and then leave for a couple of hours and have a long lunch or dinner. :(

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Hey, that's what I used to do. I actually downloaded the Knoppix DVD on dialup. I just started it up every night before bed and in only a month, voilĂ ! You do what you have to do. But the Background Intelligent Transfer Service does help a great deal and allow the internet to still be used.

6. enahj

enahj Thread Starter

hello again! im running/using Windows XP SP2 and Windows office 2007...
    does it means i shouldn't install SP 3 and MS office 2007 SP1? also, i don't know the version of my windows media player, how can i check its version and can i update it to media player 11 free?

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you're using Microsoft Office 2007, yes you want to install the SP1 upgrade for it.

There's no need to install the SP3 upgrade to Windows XP SP2 if you've kept up with the post-SP2 critical updates.

Open Windows Media Player, then click Help - About Windows Media Player. The window that appears will have the version number. Your computer will have version 9, 10, or 11.

If you're happy with the version that's currently installed, there's no real need to upgrade to version 11.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/737528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice