1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Automatically connecting to internet

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by spike26, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spike26

spike26 Thread Starter

Upon start up or when opening an existing file, my computer is automatically connecting itself to the internet. I have run CWShredder, Spybot S&D, installed all of the critical windows updates, and performed an online virus scan from housecall, but none of these have cured the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is my HJT log. Thanks in advance.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 9:04:30 PM, on 4/28/04
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINMODEM.101\wmexe.exe
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ATIPTAAA.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\STARTER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\GWHOTKEY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\POINT32.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSWHEEL.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\RunDLL.exe
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT MONEY\SYSTEM\REMINDER.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT REFERENCE\BOOKSHELF 98\QSHELF98.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HOME PUBLISHING\MHPRMIND.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSWORKS\CALENDAR\WKCALREM.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WINZIP32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Sofast Communications
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIGART] c:\ati\gart\atigart.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] Atiptaaa.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Multi-function Keyboard] GWHotKey.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\point32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV CfgWiz] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CfgWiz.exe /GUID NAV /CMDLINE "REBOOT"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [winmodem] WINMODEM.101\wmexe.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Reminder] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\reminder.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AOL Instant Messenger (TM)] C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    O4 - Startup: Qshelf.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Reference\Bookshelf 98\qshelf98.exe
    O4 - Startup: Microsoft Greetings Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Home Publishing\MHPRMIND.EXE
    O4 - Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\MSWorks\Calendar\WKCALREM.EXE
    O4 - Startup: RealDownload.lnk = C:\Program Files\Real\RealDownload\REALDOWNLOAD.EXE
    O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Juno (HKCU)
    O12 - Plugin for .swf: C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\COMMUNICATOR\PROGRAM\PLUGINS\NPSWF32.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .avi: C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\COMMUNICATOR\PROGRAM\PLUGINS\npavi32.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .mpeg: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .mov: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
    O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/7d90ae05585062/housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/xscan53.cab

2. jerry1967

jerry1967

i can tell you what happened to me and you can try it.go to internet options then to connections and then unclick always dial my default connectins and then click on never dial connections. this is what i did when i was having the same problem but it might be different for you.

3. spike26

spike26 Thread Starter

Thanks for the input jerry1967. Unfortunantly, this doesn't seem to be the problem with for me. Any other input you (or anybody for that matter) has on this problem or if anybody sees any problems with my HJT log, please let me know. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

4. HOBOcs

HOBOcs

First Name:
    Jim
    I assume you have a dial up connection.

I've found that a few things that initiate an Internet connection on start-up.
    1) Windows Critical Updates (you don't appear to have this on)
    2) Norton Anti-virus - Live Update (Make sure you turn live update off if you have dial-up. ...but put a shortcut (to live update) on your desktop and run this manually once a week.
    3) Automatic Program updates
    You appear to have a few.
    O4 - Startup: RealDownload.lnk = C:\Program Files\Real\RealDownload\REALDOWNLOAD.EXE

What I've done in the past is run "MSCONFIG" (Start / Run / MSCONFIG) and selectively turned off things (Startup) and then rebooted and checked the results.

If you are unfamiliar with the msconfig... indicate it here... and someone will help guide you.

5. PcGrafix

PcGrafix

Basically any program that loads up that requires an internet connection could be your culprit, So think along the lines of what is starting up that wants axxess to the net. GO from there

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!