1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Automatically going offline

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mrap1, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrap1

mrap1 Thread Starter

I haven't been to this forum in a while, but alas I am back with a problem.

First off let me describe what the problem is. Whenever I browse web pages the browser (IE 6) seems to go offline after a while. To fix the problem I have to go to the file menu and click on "work offline" (which is checked) and the problem is fixed. This in itself is not an issue. But the same thing happens when I leave Outlook Express open for a long time. When I go to check my email, it's offline. To fix it I simply go to file and click on "work offline," everything works fine. The real problem is when I want to watch any type of streaming media that requires Windows Media player. When I click on a link it tells me that I'm offline, and try again when I'm reconnected. The thing is, Windows Media Player doesn't have a "work offline" option like the other two programs do. Therefore, I've been unable to play any streaming media the past week.

Like I said everything had been working perfectly just a few weeks ago, the problem started when a tech from the cable company had to come and fix my cable modem connection. I wasn't home so I don't know what he did, but my brother told me that he was messing around in the internet connection options. He probably changed some setting by accident, I just can't figure out what it is.
    Note: he may have also been messing around with my home network settings.

Can anyone tell me how I can prevent IE, Outlook Express, and the Windows Media Player from automatically going offline?

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Try changing this setting and see if that fixes it.

Start>Settings>ControlPanel>InternetOptions>Connections>Lan Settings. Select "Automatically Detect Settings".

3. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Bryan seems to have hit the bull's eye. Well I don't know the solution but just posted here so that I can trace the result of this thread. :p

4. mrap1

mrap1 Thread Starter

Nope, unfortunately that didn't fix the problem. More specifically, here is the error message that I get:

"Windows Media Player cannot play this file. Connect to the Internet or insert the removable media on which the file is located, and then try to play the file again."

Obviously I am connected to the internet, I don't understand why it keeps asking me to connect. By the way in my previous post I stated that WMP doesn't have a "work offline" option, well I was wrong, it does. I found it and I tried checking it and unchecking it several times, but still no results.

I'm thinking that the tech guy changed some obscure network setting without realizing it. Is there anyway to totally get rid of my current network settings, so that I can set it up from scratch again?

In case you need to know I'm running WinXP Pro. I don't have any firewalls setup (I was using a router, however I removed it for diagnostic purposes).

5. mrap1

mrap1 Thread Starter

bump

6. franca

franca

Dont you have System Restore in your XP program ?

If so try that.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice