Automatically updating TOC in Word 97

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JFresh

Hi,

Ok, I have a TOC created and the page numbers update automatically depending where the various headings are placed. My question now is this:

Is there a way to alter the default page numbering and have that custom page numbering be reflected in the TOC?

For example:

Here is an example of how the TOC is currently laid out:

ARTICLE I FUNDING.................................................3
Section 1.1 AoP........................................................3

The problem here is that these items are actually on page 2. In effect, the table of contents is page 0 with normal numbering commencing thereafter (1, 2, 3 etc.)

Thanks for all your help!
JFresh

In page setup; (File > Page setup) in the layout tab, there should be an option to make first page different. Does this fix the problem?

JFresh

Hi,

Alas it did not work but I did find a solution. I went to Format->Page Numbers.

In there I was able to make the document start at page 0. This solved the problem as the TOC was only one page long.

Thank you very much for you assistance!

JFresh

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online