1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Automatically updating TOC in Word 97

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JFresh, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Hi,

Ok, I have a TOC created and the page numbers update automatically depending where the various headings are placed. My question now is this:

Is there a way to alter the default page numbering and have that custom page numbering be reflected in the TOC?

For example:

Here is an example of how the TOC is currently laid out:

ARTICLE I FUNDING.................................................3
    Section 1.1 AoP........................................................3

The problem here is that these items are actually on page 2. In effect, the table of contents is page 0 with normal numbering commencing thereafter (1, 2, 3 etc.)

Thanks for all your help!
    JFresh

2. GRudger

GRudger

In page setup; (File > Page setup) in the layout tab, there should be an option to make first page different. Does this fix the problem?

3. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Hi,

Alas it did not work but I did find a solution. I went to Format->Page Numbers.

In there I was able to make the document start at page 0. This solved the problem as the TOC was only one page long.

Thank you very much for you assistance!

JFresh

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!