1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Automating E-mail Retrieval

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by modsci, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modsci

modsci Thread Starter

A non-profit group I work with from time to time has a Windows 98 SE system they use for office work. Their Intenet connection is by dial up. They use Outlook Express for e-mail. Over the weekends they get so much spam the ISP's server fills up and blocks any "real" e-mail. The ISP does not offer any type of spam filtering.

I think if we could automate the e-mail retrieval process over the weekend we could get around the problem. Of course the related problem is having to sift through a bunch of e-mail on Monday morning to get to the "real" e-mail. We're not opposed to using a filtering program if it could be automated (like Mailwasher Pro).

Can this be done? Is there a better solution?

2. modsci

modsci Thread Starter

This issue is solved. I set up a task in Task Manager which starts Outlook Express once a day, connects via dial-up access, and retrieves e-mail. The dial-up connection is set to disconnect after 5 minutes of no activity. The only grief is that Outlook Express doesn't shut down. I think we can live with that for the time being. If this doesn't do it, we can set up another task to execute every 12 hours or so.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice