1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AutoPlay: External USB Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Orbital75, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orbital75

Orbital75 Thread Starter

I have 2 quick questions for you guys that I am sure you more than likely know the answer to........

1. Every time I plug my External USB Hard Drive up this AutoPlay Window Pops ups and
    starts scanning through all my files. I've went into My Computer and chose properties and
    under the AutoPlay Tab I selected "Mixed" ( Do Nothing ). The thing is, it keeps doing it. It
    seems that once scanned it won't do it again unless I reboot. I'm thinking it has something
    to do with File Indexing but that's just a guess. I took a look in properties and the " Allow
    file indexing service to index this disk for fast file search" is checked..... Could that be the
    issue, I want it to stopped do that because it takes forever.

2. On this External USB Drive, I edited the permissions a bit and would like to know if this
    will affect the contents on the drive if I should format my XP pro and reinstall. Here is what
    it looks like, I set it up so my Limited User Account can't write to it and the Admin can. I did
    this so I could log into Admin and BackUp.

Administrator: has Full Control
    Everyone: ( No boxes are checked )
    Users (Orbital\Users): Read/Write, List Folder, Read.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay

Attached Files:

3. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

1. This is normal. You can disable autoplay pretty simply and TweakUI will do that also.
    Disable autoplay, or; When it brings up a window close it.

2. Typically using the Backup Users group instead of users or admin is better suited for backing up files. Think about this. You may need the backup'er to be able to backup admin only files no? This group is better suited for these types of scenario's. Otherwise your permissions are fine, they will remain after a reinstall unless you reformat this particular disk.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice