1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Autoplay fro Camera Broken

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chuckinsocal, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckinsocal

chuckinsocal Thread Starter

It used to be that when I plugged my camera into the computer (WinXP SP2) autoplay would run Photodownloader.exe which is in Adobe Bride program folder and which allowed me to download the photos from the camera to my hard drive after selecting a few options. Way Cool!!

But now, for some unknown reason, when I plug my camera in all I get is a Windows folder directory listing the folders and files in the camera.

I've tried every solution I can find on the web including several autorun repair programs with no luck at all.

In My Computer the camera is showing as drive G: and it shows as NikonD80 which is correct so I'm pretty sure the camera and windows are communicating ok.

I shoot "RAW" so the file extensions in the camera are all .NEF. I've associated the NEF extension with the images class but that association did not exist when everything was working properly.

In My Computer in Properties for the camera drive G: in the Autoplay tab I selected Photodownloader.exe to autoplay for both pictures and mixed media.

Still, all I get when I plug in the camera is that Windows folder and file directory window. It appears that something is preventing the camera from invoking any autoplay. Autoplay works fine on music and other CDs.

Update: I just copied some NEF files to a USB drive, unplugged it, and when I plugged it back in I got the Windows file directory.

I then added some JPG's to the USB drive, unplugged it, and when I plugged it back in again I got the desired autoplay response. So, apparently Windows is not recognizing NEF files as images or pictures. How do I fix that?

Or, do I have to associate the camera itself with an autoplay action? And, if so, how?

I've spent the better part of two days on this issue and I'm at my wit's end. I pray that someone out there has some suggestions I haven't tried yet.

Thanks so much!

Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

2. chuckinsocal

chuckinsocal Thread Starter

Anyone????

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice