1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Autoplay in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dhayes1963, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dhayes1963

dhayes1963 Thread Starter

My PC is running Windows XP Professional. I have some how disabled Auto Play for my CD Burner (D:\) and my DVD drives (E:\). No matter what I do, I cannot seem to enable Auto Play. I have tried using the option in TweakUI for XP to no avail. Where else should I be checking these settings ?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. paulxp

paulxp

Hi, I've had this problem twice in XP Home (pre SP1). It would happen after my kids played their Harry Potter Game (DVD) that came with the movie. I was able to get autoplay back to working, but I not sure while this works. I went to Start/run/regedit. Went to: My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Cdrom . Click on Autorun, there is a value of 1. Retype over the 1 with a 1 (same value) click ok. Exit the registry and reboot. A word of caution; when ever you change the registry you should have good backups, in case you can't restart your machince. You can export the registry and save it . I Myself I use Norton Ghost which backs up the whole Drive. Thats program I've used to restore my harddrive on several occasion. Here also a site here that might help:

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/troubleshoot/cdrom/autoplay.html

4. chrisbyrd

chrisbyrd

right click on the drive in 'my computer' then select the 'autoplay' tab and change the settings there

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice