1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

autorun.exe unable to locate component

Discussion in 'Games' started by Adirtyhippie, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Adirtyhippie

Adirtyhippie Thread Starter

hello, I am not sure this should be in the games section or not. Currently I am running XP 64 but I had the same issue with XP pro (which is why I upgraded). Anyway, Autorun.exe gives me the error

"this application faild to start because .dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

I have tried installing installshield, winzip, and demoshield. Still no worky.
    I switched OS's (from xp pro to xp64 pro beta). Still no worky.
    I have tried running the setup.exe on the cd but it brings up the
    "Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close window"
    I have searched everywhere for a fix. It dosent tell me which .dll is missing so have no idea where to begin.
    Thanks for your help.

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Welcome to the TSG Forums Adirtyhippie!

What sort of program(s) are you trying to install? Also, what system are you running (CPU, RAM, video card etc)?

3. Adirtyhippie

Sorry for the delay in response, Having computer issues :p
    Anyway, Right now all I have tried to install are games; BFV, tron 2.0, and BF2. The autorun.exe fails on all three, but with different errors. I can post the additional errors when I get off work.
    I am running an Athalon 64 3000 (739pin?), 1g of duel channel ram, Nforce 3 motherboard, gforce 5200fx 128(ran out of upgrade money), win xp64 beta (previously xp pro but had the same error which is why I changed to xp 64).
    Someone suggested to me that it might be a bad sector in my hard drive that is causeing the error to be on both os's. On another forum it was said to be a bad cdrw. I tried to get deamon tools so I could emulate a cd and run the .iso but the .exe that I downloaded causes a windows installer error and wont install (downloaded multiple times to ensure it wasnt the file). Any help you guys can provide this poor confused newb is greatly appriciated.

4. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Try the games on another computer (family member or friends). If they work good, then it's an odds on bet that the problem is with your machine.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    what did you download?

6. Adirtyhippie

techkid, I am pretty sure its my machine. Tron 2.0 was a friends and installed fine on his.

Tidus4Yuna, it was daemon347.exe from thier download page.

This is very confuseing. The other games come up with different errors than bf2. Could fixing those (one game actually gives a complete file error) fix the bf2 error or are they not related? Why dose the error transfer between os's? I still dont think it is the cdrw but I have know idea.
    thanx for your time guys.

7. GripS

GripS

Ditch the 64 bit version of windows(or run it on a seperate drive or partition for dual boot if you must have it). Obviously it did not correct the problem and it is still suffering from a lack of driver support.

The fx5200 is not on the compatibility list for battlefield 2 so thats the problem there with that game. I think it's kind of a crapshoot though as i have heard of people getting it to work with the 5200. Check the Battlefield 2 forums on that one.

Is the system stable doing other things? You can test overall system stability with the following programs:3dmark05, PCmark05, Prime95 and SuperPi. The first tests 3d capability(it will run slow which will be fine for your video card, just make sure it finishes ok), PCmark05 is an overall sort of bench, Prime95 and SuperPi stress the CPU and memory.

A good possibility if your system fails or freezes that ram may be the issue. Download memtest86 and test the memory for a couple of hours.

All of the above programs are either free or come in free versions as well.

Check your actual CPU spec with CPU-Z(also free). This will tell you exactly which model,version, and socket CPU that you have as well as memory timings and speed.

8. Adirtyhippie

GripS,
    I had BF2 working before on this system. Windows crashed and I had to reinstall, thats when the problem popped up. I will reinstall xp and run those tests you mentioned.

Thanx for the info. My journey continues :p.

9. Adirtyhippie

Hello,
    Well I dont know what happened but it is working now. I reformated then partitioned my hd and reinstalled xp to the second partition. Now it works. Go figure.
    Anyway, thanx for the help. I'm off to blow things up.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/401703

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice