1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AutoSleep problem? Mabey?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sglv, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sglv

sglv Thread Starter

Ok i am having a problem with a computer obviously. I get power to my computer, yet my moniter, keyboard and mouse get no signal. At first i thought it was the power supply, so i changed out the power and cables. Not the problem. Then i decided to take it to a professional to ask him what the problem was. He looked at it told me everything was plugged in correctly and all that. He suggested that the problem might be that my motherboard/cpu might be the problem. So i bought a new motherboard and cpu and installed them, also getting new RAM that would work with the cpu/motherboard. Everything is connected right again and all that. Yet im still having the same exact problem... Moniter keyboard and mouse still have no response (moniter goes into its "sleep mode" as if the compiter is off... ) Is there any way to fix this? Or would it just be better to get a new computer (wich i really dont want to do lol )

2. Skydawg

Skydawg

When you boot the machine, does it go through POST? Is there a keyboard error on boot? Did you plug in both power cables to the MB from the power supply? Can you get into BIOS? When it boots, does it go to a black screen with what looks like _ flashing? Also, can you boot to a bootable CD?

3. sglv

sglv Thread Starter

Power cables are in, no i dont get any screen whatsoever. When i turn my computer on the screen stayes in sleep mode, mouse and keyboard dont work at all either. Also everything turns on but the power light does not turn on? Fans, hardrive and disk drives all have power, but the monitor and keyboard/mouse have no function? like i said i already replaced motherboard and cpu. Replaced power unit. Had a guy at CompUSA put it all together. What else could the problem be?

4. Skydawg

Skydawg

OK, you really didn't answer anything I asked, we established you have new parts, that doesn't mean they are good. My questions which weren't answered were/are;
    Did you plug in both power cables to the MB from the power supply? You do know there are, in newer computers, two power cables that must go in the Motherboard...and just because some guy at CompUSA said it looked okay, doesn't mean he didn't miss it. As a side note, if you have a newer video card, it too will require its own power cable.
    Can you get into BIOS? - As in, can you hit the "del" or "F2" and get into the BIOS?
    Also, can you boot to a bootable CD - did you try this? New question here, does the computer itself go through normal sounds, do you get a normal beep when it boots, or a series of beeps, or nothing? Last but not least, did you try hooking this up to another monitor to see if it works? Your monitor could be bad.

5. The Hound

The Hound

Then there's the one major part that hasn't been replaced: Video card.

6. Skydawg

Skydawg

That is why I asked for beep codes - most, if not all, motherboards will beep code when a video card is bad. :)

7. The Hound

The Hound

Right you are...We should probably know what motherboard, vid card, processor we're dealing with here..

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice