autostart not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shelley

I've had this problem for a while now so I can't put my finger on exactly when it happened.

I have a Super Writemaster DCD-RAM drive (driver up to date). Neither cd's or dvd's start automatically.

I've followed instructions from Microsoft Support - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135 - no change.

I've downloaded and run AutoFix.exe (see mail - http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/665926-autostart-not-working-anymore.html). I get the message - "this type of drive does not support AutoPlay settings"! So, no joy there.

Any advice which may fix this would be much appreciated.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Can you still run or open applications from CDs manually without AutoPlay?

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
Have you tried Tweak UI?

Click Powertoys for Windows XP > Tweak UI.

Expand My Computer.

Expand AutoPlay.

Click Drives.

Tick the letter for your CD/DVD ROM.

Click Types.

Tick Enable AutoPlay for CD and DVD drives.

Click OK.

shelley

Hi, Phantom010,

I looked into Tweak UI, as you suggested. The drive was not ticked. I corrected that but it hasn't made any difference. I can play cd's but they do not autostart.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
What about Types > Enable AutoPlay for CD and DVD drives?

shelley

Hi again,

All the Content Types have an action associated with them. None have 'Take no action'.

I don't know if this makes a difference but the drive is designated 'DVD-RAM Drive'.

Inserted a few DVD's. I couldn't find any to autostart and none played in Windows Media Player which popped up when selecting Play in the r/c menu. I got blank screen and a lot of whirring. DVD's are set to play using Nero ShowTime anyway, not WMP, so it's a little strange that WMP popped up. I can get to view DVD's if I start Nero first.

Hope that helps.

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
I don't know much about DVD-RAM drives but many DVD standalone players and recorders do not support DVD-RAM.

As a test, you may want to try disabling Nero ShowTime from playing your DVDs and let Windows Media Player do it?

shelley

WMP works, or rather doesn't, as I described above.

When I insert a DVD and look at Properties in WMP it shows -
Length : 00:00;
Media Type : audio
Audio codec : none
Video codec : none

Which may explain why it won't play in WMP.

The drive does recognise what's inserted (drive name changes).

Phantom010

Retired Trusted Advisor
As I said, I don't know much about DVD-RAM technology. It's not very popular, I'm afraid.

Considering your WMP issue with codecs, you might want to try the popular free K-Lite Codec Pack?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online