AutoText crashes Word97 in WindowsXP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Worried19

I’ll bet you can’t figure this one out.

I have Word97 on wxp. Recently reformated. I do progress notes, which are transcribed in house and proofed by me. When I proof, I indicate so by putting my initials at the end. The initials are a bitmap.

I set this up as follows. I selected the bitmap. Insert/AutoText/New: typed in 3 letters as “name” of autotext, and entered.

After this, if I type in the 3 letters and hit F3, the bitmap appears in the place of the 3 letters.

Works beautifully. Very satisfied.

BUT, now a new thing has started.

The second save after the second insertion of this specific autotext (not others), I am told a problem has occurred and Word will be shut down. Upon my okaying, Word shuts down. Upon running Word again, I find that the document has disappeared, nowhere to be found, but the saves are still there as files with names like ~xxx.tmp, and the changes that were saved are still there. But the ability to use the autotext and any macros is gone. If I open another document, the autotext and macro capabilities are still there.

If my second save is that which occurs when I attempt to close the document without having saved yet, and I try to save as it shuts down, the same thing happens, and it talks about whether I want to save changes to the template.

It does it when my AV is turned off, also.

Again, what is required is that I use this autotext twice (at least), and after the second use of the autotext I save two times, the second time being what causes the crash. I can type anything I want before and after the first save after the second autotext insertion, but to save again inevitably crashes the document, making it disappear.

Actually, maybe the wxp has always done this, but since I always did the progress notes on my w98, until it recently slowly crashed making using the wxp necessary, I just never knew it.

Is this a known problem? Is this an understandable problem? Is this a correctable problem?

Worried19

My template seems intact. The macros are available on other documents. It is just the document that crashes that disappears, but it is preserved as a .tmp file, and thus can be recovered.

My current solution is to avoid saving until I have finished proofing (and using the sig autotext). Thus, I will be saving only once. Or, if I get worried, I just close the document, saving the changes, and then immediately re-open it (using File/1), giving me a fresh start.

But can anyone explain this phenomenon? Has anyone else had the same problem?

Worried19

I renamed Normal.dot and then moved my autocorrect from NormalOld.dot to Normal.dot, and tried again, but the problem remained.

First Name
Anne
Okay. Does the problem recur if you rename normal.dot and DON'T copy the autotext over? Perhaps they (or one of them) is the problem.

Worried19

The above two messages crossed.

I don't exactly know what you mean. It seems to me that I will need to start all over and re-record the macros. On the other hand, all of them are listed under Tools/Macro/Macros, and it says they are in all active templates and documents. So why won't they work?

Worried19

Another observation: I can put as many of these bitmap initials as I want in the document, as long as I don't save twice after two of them have been put in, BUT, if I remove them before those saves, the document doesn't crash. So what crashes the document is two saves while at least two of those things are in the document. Having been in the document (though subsequently removed) doesn't do anything.

But again, what has happened to my macros? They are still listed under Tools/Macro/Macros, but they won't work anymore. I can, though, run them from that screen, by clicking "run," so they still appear to be somewhere. How can I get them back into the global template so they'll work??

First Name
Anne
Please upload a copy of your normal.dot file----the old one. I have no way of knowing what's going on. You said autotext entries, and now we're talking about macros. If they're listed under Tools-->Macro-->Macros, what happens when you double-click them? Do you get an error?

Worried19

I have a bunch of macros and one autotext bitmap. The autotext bitmap remained but the macros disappeared.

I have re-renamed normal.dot back to itself, and the macros and autotext are now there.

I am hesitant to upload the bitmap of my initials. If I were to do so, how would I do it?

Worried19

Experiment:

Paint. Create image (scribble). Select. Copy.
Word97. New document. Paste. Select. Format/picture: Uncheck float over text. Select. Insert/autotext/autotext: Assign 3 letters.

No problem.

Word97. Existing document with initials (bit map). Select initials. Copy.
Paint. Paste. Select. Copy.
Word97. New document. Paste. Select. Format/picture: Uncheck float over text. Select. Insert/autotext/autotext: Assign 3 letters.

The problem is back.

Could the initials bitmap be possessed? It didn't get cleansed by passing through Paint again. (Was originally created in Paint.) Another way to exorcize?

First Name
Anne
Definitely. If you don't have another way to create it, perhaps you can cut it, hit Edit-Paste special, as a picture, untick the float over text and try recreating the autotext.

Worried19

Your idea worked! So far, there has been no crash.

Earlier I had thought about paste special, but wasn't given the option, and had forgotten about that idea. I don't remember what I was doing at that time.

Thank you for your help. Donation on its way.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online