1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AUX connector on Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fantavet, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fantavet

fantavet Thread Starter

I have a CD drive already connected to the CD input on the motherboard for sound. Right next to that connection is a 4 pin AUX connection. I can add a DVD drive to that using an additional audio cable correct? It is a Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

But why would you want to?

The audio connection is only normally used for analogue sound, and thats rarely needed these days. All sound streams from a DVD are usually digital, and carried with the IDE data cable to the best of my knowledge.

I certainly do not connect the audio from the DVD and have no problems.

3. fantavet

fantavet Thread Starter

I'm a pure novice when it comes to adding hardware so basically I was just mimicking what I saw on the CD drive. I got the cable anyway. Thanks for the reply. Never realized that the the sound traveled down the IDE cable. Suppose the CD drive does the same?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Yes it does for most normal applications. I have never seen a DVD use or need the audio connector

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/249930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice