1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Available Networks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Frecon, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frecon

Frecon Thread Starter

I am on a small home network with a wireless connection. When i lose my internet connection and go to "Connect to a network" i usually see our own network and sometimes another network listed with one or two bars showing. We,re wondering if the other network showing is a network in the area open and available for use or is just listed and the owner cld possibly be away or have their computers shut off? pls reply. thanks.

2. Paul F

Paul F

If the network name is something like belkin54g and it has no security then it will properly be a neighbours network that hasnt been setup correctly. Public Wi-Fi spots usually are named after a provider or a shop if they provide it, do a search online with the network name and see what results you get back

3. Frecon

Frecon Thread Starter

We know it.s a neighbour(next door) network. I guess the question is "If they have gone away or are out and they have left their computer or router on will that cause interference with our network which can then make our internet access erratic?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The only potential interference would be if their router is set to the same channel as yours. You can use a program like Netstumbler to check. However, if you're not currently experiencing problems, there's nothing to be concerned about. Their network isn't affecting yours.

5. Frecon

Frecon Thread Starter

Thank you 'Double Helix' for your reply. We are having erratic internet access which apparently coincides with their network showing on the "Connect to a network screen" and therefore changing channels will be a fix-it we,ll try. tks again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/718407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice