1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Avast free antivirus

Discussion in 'General Security' started by FastestCrib0439, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FastestCrib0439

FastestCrib0439 Thread Starter

Is this antivirus great? I have been using it for years, and i was told that it slows down the computer by a lot. Is this true?Is it a RAM hogger?

2. Sponsor

3. donetao

donetao Banned

No it's not a RAM hogger!! ;)

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Usually when people say it slows down a computer, they mean it uses a lot of CPU, not RAM. You then have to ask what CPU they are using. If they are using a older computer, then it may appear to them that it is slowing down their computer. In my experience Avast does not use a lot of cpu. But I am running a Intel Dual Core, which is a recent cpu.

5. jcgriff2

jcgriff2

With all due respect, RAM (or the lack of) can absolutely slow down a computer.

Older computers contained much less physical RAM than is found in today's systems.

Lack of adequate physical RAM leads to excessive paging, which will slow most computers to a crawl.

Excessive paging results when RAM runs low/out and the HDD pagefile is forced into action as virtual memory to supplement the RAM. Since virtual memory relies on the HDD, a much slower moving piece of hardware as compared to RAM, system slowness is expected.

The CPU is definitely another item to look at, especially if single core.

How much RAM do you have?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Using Avast will use far less RAM and other resources than the viruses would. Well actually I'm wrong; the viruses will use less since your machine won't work properly.

7. Dude2012

Dude2012

I've been using Avast for 4 or 5 years now and have to say that it's totally great. it's free, and it doesn't slow down my pc, althought I have a rather powerful, so I haven't got any problems. In addition, to my mind it's the best free antivirus with good protection system.
    If you don't feel any problems in your pc's work, so don't worry and keep using Avast.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice