1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Avast free av vs avira free av

Discussion in 'General Security' started by starnelka, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starnelka

starnelka Thread Starter

First Name:
    Vow
    I've been reading so much about these two AVs and just cannot make up my mind which would work best on my Vista HP. Can I run them side by side as one webpage suggested? Or will that throw a spanner in the works?

I'd appreciate some advice please as although I have Avast at the moment I don't find it particularly easy to work out.

2. golferbob

golferbob

3. hewee

hewee

They are both good and I got the Avast now. I had AVG till last year on old PC but it had 98SE and had to find a new one and I happen to pick Avast.

What is so hard about Avast? You may be better off asking about what you need help on and not just changing and then have the same thing going on because you don't understand something.

4. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

I've tried Avast! and AntiVir and I'm liking AntiVir better than Avast! I didn't like the Avast! UI and I didn't like having to register the product in order to use it long-term.

AntiVir has the annoying "upgrade to premium" window that pops up but once that is dealt with, it can run very quietly in the background. I don't know if AntiVir is any more prone to false positives than Avast!

Given the choice between Avast! and AntiVir, I would go with AntiVir. :)

Peace...

5. jack8

jack8

I also use Avira changed over from AVG 8 about a month ago. Have to say it works fine and seems to run better than AVG. Can't comment on Avast as I have never used it.

6. hairbender1950

hairbender1950

I have avast installed on my 2 computers, my mother's computer and my daughter has installed it too. We have all had great results with its protection. Our computers are, Win 98SE, Win ME, and 2 Windows XP.
    I am not familiar with other FREE antiviruses, but I can vouch that AVAST free for home use is what I was looking for.
    As for the re-registering it, heck that is no big deal. Takes a few minutes to do. That way Avast knows how many are using their software.
    I have read that AntiVir doesn't scan email, so if that is true I wouldn't want it.
    I about forgot to add that Avast has a forum that is great. Some very helpful people that give of their time helping us less computer savy ones.
    http://forum.avast.com/
    here is the link, please check it out.

7. hewee

hewee

I know Avast scans emails but had to go into the setting so it adds to the email that it was scanned. I like that because it shows me and who I email that my email is scanned.

Avast also where AVG did not stopped me from getting test files and even when I downloaded them they were empty.
    I am talking about the eicar | THE ANTI - VIRUS OR ANTI -MALWARE TEST FILE

More antivirus test files

I can go here to get the info to safe the test file.
    http://www.avast.com/eng/eicar-antivirus-test-file.html

Avast pops up right away when I went to save it.
    I made another but saved it under the name "Standard Antivirus Test File" and then ran a right click and picked Spybot - Search & Destroy, SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, a-squared Anti-Malware and Avast to scan the file.
    Each time no matter what "a-squared Anti-Malware" pops up first. But then the scan was clean by all but a-squared Anti-Malware.

The file I made called "Standard Antivirus Test File" was the same info at the web page with the how to info etc and not just what it said to do.

8. macro_scoop!

macro_scoop!

avast is gr8 for real ,,, but actually i'm using avg for my PC ... anyways use whatever u r comfortable with , but just 1 of them , not both of them at the same time ,,,

9. golferbob

golferbob

10. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

Gotta go with Avira, on this one. As far as the pop up ad when it updates, it`s so minor, one click and it`s gone.

11. hrlow2

hrlow2

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/803247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice