1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Avast network question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Novictory, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250u Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3835 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 921 GB (864 GB Free); E: 149 GB (101 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0DPRF9
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but -- I ran an Avast scan this morning and it came up with the following: "registry is visible to others - you should disable network access to the windows registry to help prevent registry snooping".... I am not sure how to do this or if I should do it. Thanks.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Post a screenshot of the error please.

3. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

I will re-run the scan as that result went away when I closed down Avast. Thanks.

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

5. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Here are two of the scans. The first one is the network issue and the other is a registry question. I am always hesitant to mess with the registry so would appreciate any thoughts you may have. Thanks very much.
    avscan.JPG avscan2.JPG

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

7. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Well gee. I don't know what to tell you. It is in fact Avast. I used the clip tool to get those two screens - perhaps Avast drops the logo from the results. Here is their initial screen before scan. I posted this issue in the network forum as it looked like a network issue. I'll post appropriately. Thanks.

I also have to say with regard to all of the anti-virus programs that are free - they always come up with potential problems and the only way to fix them is with an update to the $$ version. So I have difficulty in trusting what they come up with sometimes - I use them as we all do to protect our systems from the creeps that will do damage - it's all just a pain anymore. Thanks.

Attached Files:

• AV.JPG
      AV.JPG
      File size:
      65.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

9. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Please clarify - if it is not Avast then what are you talking about?

10. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

There is a possibility that your computer is infected with malware. To find out for sure, recommend reading these instructions first: Everyone MUST Read This BEFORE Posting for Help in This Forum

Then start a New thread in this forum: Virus & Other Malware Removal

After you've been given a clean bill of health from one of our Malware experts, and if you're still having the same problem, return to this thread se we can pursue some other options.

11. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

No matter how much reading I do, I guess I just don't understand infections. At any rate, for one thing I have the premium version of Malwarebytes on my system and it has not come up with any malware presence. It is scanned every day and nothing has come up.

12. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If you scanned your pc using Avast's Clean Up Tool [the same applies to other anti-virus programs] - they will find so called registry errors.
    They are not errors at all but usually missing files/sortcuts, etc. The registry does not need cleaning.

If you are still concerned run an online scan with ESET.
    https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/
    Click on 'free one-time scan with ESET Online Scanner'
    Scan with Eset and Remove found threats.
    Disable Avast before running the online scan.

The log files can be found here.
    C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
    You will need to Show hidden files and folders to see the log file.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/

13. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Thank you!! I will do the ESET thing. Thanks again.

14. lynx1021

lynx1021

15. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Exactly! The following sums up how I feel about their "fixes".... "I also have to say with regard to all of the anti-virus programs that are free - they always come up with potential problems and the only way to fix them is with an update to the $$ version" -- this disable thing - will keep it safe from bad intruders or the anti-virus program that wants to check it. Appreciate your input. Thanks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1204020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice