1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AVAST uninstall

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Skysarge, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skysarge

Skysarge Thread Starter

I was having problems with Avast because of the Google redirect virus.
    While using a program to remove the virus I needed to deactivate Avast, but could not.
    When I went to uninstall Avast, using Change or remove programs, I got an unspecified error that the program could not be uninstalled.
    I used Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Avast.
    However, when I try to run the malware program I get a message that Avast is active and may interfere with the malware removal program.
    I find Avast no where on my computer.
    Suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Skysarge

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. Skysarge

Skysarge Thread Starter

I have, I believe, what is called a conundrum.
    I need to get Avast completely out of my computer so I can install an anti malware program specific to the Google Redirect virus. That is the same virus, we believe, which is preventing me from downloading Avast uninstall and has prevented Avast from being uninstalled with the Change/remove program or evo uninstaller

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Perhaps you should click on Report and kindly ask to be moved to the Malware Removal & HijackThis Logs forum. From there, be patient. You should get an answer within the next 48 hours. These guys are really busy!

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

I'm confused. You said you used Revo Uninstaller and uninstalled Avast. Now you say it didn't uninstall Avast? Which is it.
    I think you have a "dangler" left from the uninstall. Try using the first screen "Registry" that lists every entry in the registry by program and removing any reference to Avast or Alwill. Power Tools is shareware and is fully functional:
    www.jv16.org
    Please don't use any other part of this program though and I am not suggesting use of this reg cleaner to "clean" the registry.

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

jv16 has not been freeware for a long time. He sold out years ago.

Version 1.2 was the last free fully working version, starting with 1.3 it had a timeout date, then it went Pay.

jv16.org redirects to the new owner of the software, not free.

None of the old Jv16 software is compatible with Vista or W7

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Never said freeware, I said shareware and it is fully functional.

9. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I guess I never caught up, shareware use to mean free, donate if you wish, old school i guess.

Does it have a trial period?

Thanks Rich.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Shareware is not free, it just gives you a trial version, usually for 30 days and hopefully fully functional.
    Actuallt freeware was free, "donate if you wish". No "biggy"!

11. Skysarge

Skysarge Thread Starter

Subject: Avast not uninstalled
    I believe, note crossed fingers, problem may be solved. With some quick strokes of the back button or arrow, I managed to sneak onto Avast at links suggested and ran with it from there.
    Then ran the program I had originally tried to use to take out the malware, which found my problem (I really hope) and what looked like a few hundred more.
    Thank all of you for your help. Gratifying to know there are folks who really do know how these things work, and are willing to share that knowledge.
    If anyone needs help with Ground Warfare, Jungle Warfare, Desert Combat Operations, Winter Combat or Airborne Assaults & Warfare, please do contact me and I would gladly help. :>)
    Sarge (US Army retired)
    Sarge

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice