1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Avast + ZoneAlarm

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by CJibber, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJibber

CJibber Thread Starter

Hi,

I have just installed Avast AntiVirus and ZoneAlarm firewall on a brand new laptop (Acer TravelMate 2403WXCi). Every time I switch the laptop on, I get an error message explaining that the two are incompatible and I can not get rid of the message. If I move the mouse pointer over the error message, it changes to the hour glass and I can not select either the Yes or No buttons. The only way to get rid of the box is to right-click on the thing on the system tray, select Close and then End Task.

I had tried AVG anti-virus but had a similar problem in that a message box about updates would not go away at power-up. I uninstalled it and tried Avast instead.

Any ideas how I stop this happening and which of the two would you recommend to use?

Cheers

Dave

2. BillC

BillC

The two applications should work together and I'm not sure why you're getting the message. I would suggest you uninstall both programs then reinstall The ZA firewall first. When you uninstall ZA, do it this way to give yourself a 'clean' start.

Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.

3. CJibber

CJibber Thread Starter

Thanks... that has sorted it out!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436599

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice