1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Average CD drive speed is..??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ossa, Jul 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ossa

ossa Thread Starter

I've heard that CD's have blown apart and was wondering just how fast is the thing turning..meaning, the CD drive?? On a average...that is.

2. constant

constant

Access Speed
    All you really need to know is the smaller the access speed, the better. FYI: Average access speed is equal to the number of milliseconds (ms) that the CD drive can perform a 1/3 stroke on a 12 centimeter disk.

Transfer Rate / Spindle speed
    Transfer rate and spindle speed are directly related. The transfer rate of most CD drive is approximately 150 Kbytes per second for single speed drives, 300 Kbytes per second for double speed drives and 450 Kbytes per second for triple speed drives. Data and program file access is improved with a double or triple speed drive, but standard audio CDs need to be played at single speed and the double or triple speed drive slows down. Triple CD drives are not as commonly available as either single or double speed drives and fetch a premium price.

3. ossa

ossa Thread Starter

Humm, i'm talking (or wondering) about a CD drives spindle speed or RPM.??

4. giskard

giskard

5. ossa

ossa Thread Starter

Thats some great links Giskard, and answered the speed question.........Thx.

One other thing that concern's me, I see friend's that leave CDR media in there drives for ever or just forgot to remove it.

Doesn't the drive run all the time if there's a cdr in it..??

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

About 2 years ago, I had a CD shatter in one of my drives... Was irritating, but kinda cool.. Left little silver confetti of the backing everywhere...

No, the drive doesn't run unless the CD is accessed.

7. giskard

giskard

No, after a little while they shut off the drive motor, or throttle down, if there are no disk activity, like gotrootdude said. How long depends on the drive manufacturer.

If you want to see how long yours stays spun up, put a disk in and let it spin up. Listen to the sound it makes, let it go idle and usually within a minute it will slow down. Click Explorer and access the drive, you'll hear it spin up again.

8. slipe

slipe

Some good CD-ROM drives like my Plextor 40Max let you select the time before it goes to idle or even keep it running all the time if there is a CD in the drive, but it isn’t common to have those choices.

I had a problem with occasional CPU activity I couldn’t account for and it turns out it only happened when a CD was left in the drive. I don’t know whether it is common, but the activity stopped when I quit leaving CDs in the drive.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/149527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice