1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Average LAN transfer speed?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 3D0G, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 3D0G

3D0G Thread Starter

What's your average time to copy a ~500mb file over your LAN from a server to a workstation?

I'm getting times between 1.5 and 2:00min which feel rather slow for a 100mbps connection.

Details: Windows 2003 server, XP sp2 worstations with 100mbps cards. 1000MB connection on the server via a 100/1000 dell switch.

3D0g

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Usually when somebody talks file size they talk in bytes, so I feel obliged to ask if you really mean 500mb file or 500mB (= 4,000mb) file? If the latter than the absolute minimum time with no overhead would be 40 seconds, so 2 minutes seems OK to me.

3. 3D0G

3D0G Thread Starter

500,000kb

How did you caculate the absolute minimum?

Thanks.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

100mbit/sec, which with protocol overhead will give you a maximum of around 10mbyte/sec transfer time. 500mb / 10mb = 50 seconds optimum time for the transfer.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And my calculation didn't even include the protocol overhead. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!