1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Average life of cd rom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gman121, Jun 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gman121

Gman121 Thread Starter

What is the average life of a cd drive

2. Jones

Jones

Anywhere from 1 day to 10 years on average. :p

Seriously, I've never actually seen one die or seen it happen to anyone I know personally, but it must have happened to someone somewhere. And I'm sure someone on this forum has had one quit on them at some point, so I guess there is no right answer.

3. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

I'd say about three to five years depending on conditions and amount of use, and yes, i've disposed of countless optical drives (mostly old style non-DVD CD burners).
    Like most other drives though, they seem to be getting cheaper and more reliable......

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Agree! It depends on how much and how often you use it, as all manmade parts wear out at some time.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The first CD -R drives (when they cost about US$500 each and were only 3x speed) seemed to last for ever. Lately I agree with the above, they can last days to a few years. But then they are cheap as well.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah I would agree 3-5 years depending on usage.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/475925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice