1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Averatec 2300 laptop won't boot SOMETIMES

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Specsnow, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Specsnow

Specsnow Thread Starter

Hi there,

I have an Averatec 2300 laptop with a really annoying problem. Here are the specs, just in case it matters.

AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50
    2 GB DDR2 RAM
    250 GB SATA HDD
    DVD-RW DL
    nVidia GeForce GO 6100

The problem is that when I push the power button, the lights will come on, the drives will seek and all that, but it will not past. I know it's not th screen because when it does this, the fans don't go into a fast spin for a few seconds like they do when it starts normally. BUT, if you try ver and over, powering it on and off, eventually it will turn on normally and run just fine! If I leave it on, it will be fine for days and days (as long as I leave it on), but if I power down, or restart, it does it again. Also, standby works fine too. It's just when it actually powers off or restarts.

I was told by a friend that it may be the motherboard, a blown capacitor or something, but it is odd that sometimes it will run with no problems, which leads to it not being a MB problem, right? Also, I know it's not the memor or HD or anything like that, because I had both of those replaced/upgraded when I started having this problem. The laptop only costed $950.00, and I have already out in over $300.00 replacing things to try and solve this problem, so I would hope not to spend anymore if I don't have to

Any Ideas?

PS: I also have a problem with the DVD drive not reading DVD+R discs, even though it is supposed to, but I can live with that. I'd rather fix the other problem first. Anyways, I was told by that same friend that it is probably a firmware issue and to upgrade it (but I can't find a firmware upgrade for a Mat****a UJ-850d, so any links would be cool too).

Thanks. And if you have any questions, just post them. I will be watching this like a hawk so I can get this fixed! Haha. It really is annoying!

2. Specsnow

Specsnow Thread Starter

Anybody? I really would appreciate the help.... I love this laptop very much and would love to revive it even more.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!