AVG 7.5 Free won't let me install 8.0

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HollyG

When downloading AVG 8.0 I get the message:

Installation Failed!
file_AVG7_avgtdi.sys
Service AvgTdi failed to progress during stopping at checkpoint 0

I tried uninstalling 7.5 from my Add/Remove Programs but it's not listed in there.

It seems that 7.5 is still being supported as I did get an automatic update when logging in today. So as of now I guess I'll stick with 7.5 until it is no longer supported.

Another problem I have with it is how do I shut the anti-virus down when installing other programs and it is recommended that I turn off my spyware and anti-virus? I can never find that option so I always leave it running.

throoper

Trusted Advisor (deceased)
Hi HollyG,

Go into the AVG Program folder and there should be a set-up file.
Double click it to run the set-up and when you get to the installation options page, check the uninstall and continue with the wizard. Reboot, then run the 8.0 setup.
T.

HollyG

It seems like AVG has stopped supporting 7.5 and I'm not sure what to do now. How do I get rid of 7.5 and how do I install 8? I tried all the suggestions here and in other posts. Maybe I'm missing a step?

throoper

Did you find the Setup file in the AVG Program folder?
Also check Start>Programs>AVG and see if there is an uninstall shortcut listed.
When you try to download the 8.0, are you saving the file to the HD or are you running it?
You should save the setup to the HD before uninstalling the 7.5.
T.

HollyG

No it won't uninstall from the Programs folder, it just gets stuck.
I am pretty sure I saved it first and didn't run it, and then I got the installation failed message. I will try again.

When I tried to install AVG 8.0 I get this message:
Installation Failed!
file_AVG7_avgtdi.sys
Service AvgTdi failed to progress during stopping at checkpoint 0
That is how the problem started it doesn't uninstall 7.5 automatically.

Try to reinstall AVG 7.5, then uninstall. Before you do this, download AVG 8.0 and save it in a folder on your desktop or documents, then after you get rid of the 7.5 you can install the 8.0 without having to on on line with no anti virus.
To disable AVG. right click on the icon in the task bar and select exit.
vicks

if you still have the problem ,do a search files & folders for avg ,right click on each item and delete.

HollyG

I think I tried this before too. You mean just download 7.5 again? I have 7.5 saved to my desktop so I downloaded it, then it said expired installation package, but I continued anyway with standard installation. Then I get this error message:
Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for file avgclean.sys: starting service....
The dependency service or group failed to start. (1068)
Rollback:
Error: Action failed for file avgclean.sys: starting service....
The dependency service or group failed to start. (1068)

throoper

No it won't uninstall from the Programs folder, it just gets stuck.
How far did it go before it hung?
Did it get to the page with options?
If it did, try running the reinstall from that setup file.
T.

"I think I tried this before too. You mean just download 7.5 again? I have 7.5 saved to my desktop so I downloaded it, then it said "EXPIRED INSTALLATION PACKAGE" continued anyway with standard installation. Then I get this error message:
Local machine: installation failed"

The fact you are getting the expired message means what you have saved on your desk top is not going to install....... Need to d/l new copy......then install/ remove.....then install your AVG 8.0.
vicks

HollyG

Ok I downloaded a new AVG 7.5 to my desktop. Now I want to get it straight. Do I shut off AVG and ZA when I install 7.5 first, or that's not necessary?

Then should I download a new AVG 8? I already have it downloaded to my desktop.

So then I go through the installation of 7.5 .But doesn't the one that's currently installed get in the way? Should I do standard installation or custom?

Then I uninstall 7.5 from the uninstall shortcut in Programs.

Am I restarting my computer at any point during all this yet?

Then I try to install 8.0.

throoper

Ok I downloaded a new AVG 7.5 to my desktop. Now I want to get it straight. Do I shut off AVG and ZA when I install 7.5 first, or that's not necessary?
It shouldn't be necessary.

Then should I download a new AVG 8? I already have it downloaded to my desktop.
If it came from the AVG site or the CNET mirror, the one you have should be fine.

So then I go through the installation of 7.5 .But doesn't the one that's currently installed get in the way? Should I do standard installation or custom?
Standard install. It should just overwrite the existing installation.

Then I uninstall 7.5 from the uninstall shortcut in Programs.
Yes. Or Add/Remove Programs. Reinstalling should put an entry back in there. Either way is the same thing.

Am I restarting my computer at any point during all this yet?
Then I try to install 8.0.
Restart after you install the 7.5. Then run the uninstall.
After uninstalling 7.5, Restart and then install the 8.0.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online