1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AVG 8.0 Manually scan & update

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bubaleh, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bubaleh

bubaleh Thread Starter

I'm running Windows XP & AVG 8.0 and I want to turn off automatic scan & update features. Can you help? Thanks.

2. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

What I did was set the time for 2:00 AM, when I know I will not be at the computer. When I start up the next day a warning appears saying the connection could not be made. That is a nice reminder to do a manual update.

{redoak}

3. bubaleh

bubaleh Thread Starter

Excellent solution! I was thinking along that same line but, didn't realize I would get a warning notice. What a novel idea! By the way, I'm only 70 (10/8). Proof positive that the older you get, the smarter you get. Thank you so much!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Right-click the AVG taskbar icon, then click Open AVG User Interface - Tools - Advanced Settings

You can select whatever settings and options you want there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

You can also select during the install process not to have it do a daily scan.

I don't allow AVG nor any other utility to automatically scan.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. bubaleh

bubaleh Thread Starter

I should have mentioned that I'm running AVG FREE. There's no option for manually scanning and updating

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You manually update it by right-clicking the AVG taskbar icon, then clicking "Update Now".

You manually scan for viruses and other problems, by right-clicking the AVG taskbar icon, clicking "Open AVG User Interface", clicking "Computer Scanner", then clicking "Scan whole computer".

I'm also using the free version of AVG 8. I manually update it every day, and I manually run a scan about once a week.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice