AVG and also online scanners

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Roman5

I'm currently using bit defender 9 internet security but the virus scanner is taking forever with an estimated time of over 5 hours. Last night, it got to 18% after an hour, and had scanned over 400,000 files. I didn't finish the scan. I used to use pc cillin and that scanned within an hour and as far as I know was thorough. How do you rate bit defender and should I untick some boxes to speed things up like, the heuristics scan? Alternatively, what is the opinion on the free AVG? Is it thorough and does it keep up to date with the latest definitions? Finally, is it worth using an online scanner? I can't remember if online scanners actually fix viruses or just find them and then want you to buy their product. Thanks in advance.

Roman5

I've now scrapped bit defender and downloaded a months trial of pc cillin internet security 2006. It gives me a message several times to allow or deny C:/windows/system32/winlogon.exe wanting to access the internet. I've read winlogon is a windows XP process but can also be a virus to do with W netsky. What should I be doing, allowing or denying?

i have used avg for 18 months with no problems. it does not use a lot of resources ,updates fast and scans fast.

Roman5

Cool, I'll try it out after pc cilin expires. Going back to bit defender, what's the deal with it taking so long and scanning hundreds of thousands of files in an hour with 5 more hours to go? I did a full scan with pc cillin today and it took just over an hour and didn't scan nearly as many files. It's a huge difference.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Once upon a time .. I had a similar problem.
It’s my conclusion that scanning for Viruses or other Malware – it takes longer to scan a bunch of small files than one (or a few) large files.
I had one folder full of small files that would take Norton over 4 hours at 2.6 Ghz.
My solution was to make one small C: partition for only the operating system and a second, larger, partition to store the data stuff in.
A smaller C: Partition scans much faster for Malware, doesn’t need defragging as often, runs faster, and is easier/quicker to recover if something gets past my protection.
The stuff in my data storage partition has already been checked – so why check it again, and again …etc…

Maybe the online scanners are only looking for specific items and not scanning the whole system.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online