1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Avg Anti-Rootkit free blocked by Kaspersky

Discussion in 'General Security' started by smithmdan, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

Read an article in my local newspaper today (1-16-2010) by James Derk tech columnist.

He said to use AVG Free Anti-Rootkit.

Google search lead to AVG saying that Anti-Rootkit no longer free.

Found the free download at Softpedia.

Installed it on my computer and my Kaspersky Anti-Virus went wild with threat and suspicious activity alerts.

Is AVG Anti-Rootkit safe??????

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Kaspersky is a bit paranoid. I would set an exception for AVG.

3. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Personally, I would dump AVG Anti-Rootkit and let Kaspersky handle your security.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Me too. :D

5. iconicmoronic

iconicmoronic Account Closed

i would contact softpedia and let them know about the file. i wouldn't install it (unless ur as crazy as me). kaspersky isn't infallible i can tell you that. if they were, they wouldn't diss guarantee of infection removal. i would also get a hold of kaspersky internet security, see what they tell you. they have a live chat on their site, but i have yet to get someone to answer and i waited for a good long time. i have a friend that swears by avg. if it's legitimate avg software, i wouldn't call it malicious. i would say the software isn't designed around your system. to be honest, anti-virus needs to be designed around a system. otherwise it is catching main stream infections. stuff students put on the web. the reason that kaspersky updates its databases so often, is because that's how quick it takes for a virus version to mutate, or a new one to emerge. i'm not saying don't feel safe on the net. but i would quote: the only safe computer is one six feet beneathe concrete with its power supply cut and its....something else. you get the picture. to get a really good answer, notify the appropriate parties, they will help you figure out what is what.

6. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

The Kaspersky Anti-Virus works really well. Not a resource hog. Stays in the background till need and then takes care of business.

Does it look for and take care of Rootkits???

7. iconicmoronic

iconicmoronic Account Closed

mine does. you have to specify for it to do so in the settings. i'm not sure if you can add properties to the definition manually though, otherwise i figure my hp splash screen would be good and gone. but yeah uh, (man i just uninstalled it)....go to my protection, files and private data, look down on the menu and go to full scan, object scan, and so on....go into the settings or configuration, and i think the second tab you can tell it to do rootkit scans, deeps scans, heuristic analyzer at a specific level as well.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/894728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice