1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AVG anti virus and Internet

Discussion in 'General Security' started by mwambo, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mwambo

mwambo Thread Starter

After upgrading AVG 9.0 to AVG 2012 i can no longer use web browsers other then google chrome.
    When i open firefox the home continues to load and if i try other web pages they also do not load. Programs that access the Internet like i tunes real player ext also do not load there pages. i used AVG teck support. After disabling AVG i am able to use the other web browsers. The AVG teck support gave me a link to send them information. It has been a week since and i have not received a response nor the transcripts from the chat. What can i do to fix this?
    mpc ClientPro 375
    Windows 7

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You had to uninstall your old version of AVG with the AVG Remover.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Hopefully, you haven't used the file and registry cleaner feature that comes with AVG 2012. :eek:

Are you using the free version or paid version?

--------------------------------------------------------

4. mwambo

mwambo Thread Starter

Phantom i tried that unfortunately it did not work.
    flavalle i have the paid version. Do you mean the AVG PC tuneup?

5. Phantom010

I would get rid of AVG. There are much better alternatives out there, even free ones.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Yes, I was referring to the PC tuneup feature. It contains a file and registry cleaner which is dangerous to use, so don't use it.

I concur with Phantom010. Get rid of AVG 2012 and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials 2.1.1116.0 - which is more user-friendly and lighter and well recommended here.

----------------------------------------------------------

7. logoff

logoff

Hello Flavalee, you have helped me before. I'm trying to help a friend remove AVG 11 but he gets the BSOD when trying to remove it. Then he has to restore to a previous restore point. I suggested MSE version as you stated, which I use on Vista with no problems. There is an AVG removal tool. Before I download it, is it any good?
    Hope you can help. LogOff

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    logoff:

You need to start your own thread. It's too confusing to work with 2 different people and 2 different computers in the SAME thread.

------------------------------------------------------

9. mwambo

mwambo Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it out.

10. Frank-over-here

Frank-over-here

Hello,
    I have AVG 2011 and I just loaded Superantispyware PRO , and I have a copy of Malwarebytes that I use.

Is it advisable to REMOVE AVG2011 so I do not stack all these programs up ? I would then KEEP running superantispyware PRO ( as it would do the work of AVG)...
    Is this the proper way to get the best protection or is there another way? OPene to insights and suggestions.

Thanks!

ps - I have been an AVG user and could not load 2012 AVG ( new version) - Even had their tech support on-line and they too could not get it done . I am a Windows 7 user , A dell Inspiron box.
    I found tons of maleware that AVG did not catch ( yikes) with Malewarebytes.

11. Phantom010

SUPERAntiSpyware is not an antivirus. Therefore, you cannot use it alone without proper protection from an antivirus.

To remove AVG, you'll need the AVG Remover.

As good free alternatives, I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials or Avira Antivir.

Like SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is highly recommended on this forum.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice