1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011 Version 10.0

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by pfo62, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pfo62

pfo62 Thread Starter

Help needeed!
    I thought I had uninstalled AVG, then went ahead and installed MS Security Essentials.
    However a scan with Belarc Advisor showed me that AVG was still there! I've tried for months to try and find/remove it: no luck, it's still in my PC. I even tried AVG Remover: It didn't work.
    Nor does it show up in Add/Remove screen. Nor can I find it in a search, regedit etc.
    So what do I do? Where is it?
    My OS is XP.

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011 Version 10.0

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

If it is not causing any problems then there is no need to do anything about it. There may be just one or two registry keys related to AVG that remain in place.

I am surprised the AVG removal tool did not clean everything out.

Is this the tool you used: AVG Removal tool

3. pfo62

pfo62 Thread Starter

Thanks Mark
    I'll try that one, fingers crossed..no, there's more than a few files, it keeps updating itself too..

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

The AVG tool should clean it all out, what tool did you use before?

5. pfo62

pfo62 Thread Starter

Hi, well I isntalled that version, but it didn't remove it either..I can't remember which version I used before. I gues I'll have to do a re-install, which is going to cost 40 quid..but thanks anyway.
    Paul

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

One thing you could try is to re-install AVG and then try the uninstall again, immediately followed with the Remove tool. I am sure we can find a way to remove AVG for you, don't spend your money.

Why would a re-install cost you 40 quid????

7. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Belarc creates a central repository that includes software, hardware and network inventory, in addition to security configurations. I'm wondering if it's not simply picking up corrupted Windows Security Center information from your own computer's Repository folder?

I'd reset your Repository folder:

1. Click on Start > Run > type services.msc and press Enter.

2. Locate and stop Windows Management Instrumentation & Security Center. By default, the Startup Type on both should be Automatic.

3. Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem.

4. Only delete the Repository folder.

5. Restart your computer.

This will rebuild the deleted folder and the database. Now the Windows Security Center should show the correct info for antivirus and firewall.

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

Phantom, I think you may have missed post 3

Sounds to me like it must still be running, I think a reinstall and then another uninstall followed by the AVG remover should get shot of all of it.

pfo62, make sure when you uninstall it that it is completely closed and not running in Task Manager.

9. Phantom010

What kind of updates are we talking about here? Definition updates? Seems highly unlikely, since AVG has been uninstalled and the AVG Remover has been run.

Seems like the only one assuming AVG is still on that computer, is Belarc...

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

Phantom, lets wait to see what the OP says about the apparent AVG updates and then it might be an idea to ask for an HJT log, that should show AVG if it is still running. I do agree it would be quite amazing if it is still updating itself after an uninstall and using the removal tool.

11. Phantom010

1- Please click HERE to download HijackThis.

2- Run the program.

3- Click on the Main Menu button if not already there.

4- Select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

5- Copy and paste the scan log from Notepad into your next reply. Do not attach it.

6- Do not "Fix" anything unless advised to do so.

12. pfo62

pfo62 Thread Starter

Ok, many thanks to you both for taking the time! When I said a "re-install" I meant of XP Home Edition, surely that would do it? You 2 are way ahead of me vis-a-vis computers, what I know is what I've learned on my own...I'm a RAF reserve as well as a Commercial Pilot and volunteer, good grief, flying planes is easier! I only have a limited time on PC's, but I'll do my very best to follow your advice, but wish there was some software to do it for me!
    Thanks again, Paul

13. Mark1956

Mark1956

If I tried to fly a plane it would be suicide so you are way ahead of me in that respect, lol.

Anyway, just work your way through the suggestions and answer the questions from me and Phantom and reply when you are ready.

To expand on one question that I already asked, why would you have to pay for a re-install, all PC's are either supplied with a Recovery Partition, Recovery discs or many years ago the original OS disc. Or, did you get this PC second hand with no discs and no Recovery partition.

What is the make and model number?

14. pfo62

pfo62 Thread Starter

Hi, yes 2nd hand, no back up disks etc. £45 is what they charge here in the UK. My lap top is a DELL Inspiron 1100, about 6 years old. I think I know how to find out the model number...the battery (knackerd) is a U1223, if that helps. Flying a plane is easier than you think, it's the rest that's a pain in the....fly-by-wire is really 'fun' when it goes pear shaped...!
    The 99th ATC Squadron is always short of PCs, and I try to help...so is the Battle Of Britain Memorial, where I'm Assistant General (Volunteer) All donations welcome!
    visit: www.battleofbritainmemorial.org
    Flt.Capt. Paul Ottersen, "staying true to the few"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meN1ItmTEKo

15. Mark1956

Mark1956

They have a nerve charging that much for a reinstall, time taken at the PC could not be more than 15 minutes which equates to 180 pounds per hour, which I could earn that in a day!

You can get Recovery discs from Dell, once purchased you won't have to pay again and the disc will include all the drivers for your PC. You may need the service tag number which should be on a sticker under the machine. The model number is Inspiron 1100. If you can borrow an XP disc with the same version of XP that is on your licence sticker you can do a reinstall yourself and all the drivers are available to download from Dell. (I can assure you that will be easier than flying)

Please post back when you have tried all of the above suggestions.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!