AVG Anti-Virus Probs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xfilesgurly

I needed an anti-virus for my laptop (I have InnoculateIT for my desktop - diappointed to discover that's been discontinued for new downloads), so I got AVG - it installed OK and ran OK, but earlier today it started to check for viruses by itself spontaneously (inconvenient, and it had already checked at start-up *and* downloaded a patch anyway!) and afterwards my trackpad almost completely stopped reponding (cursor was slow and erratic) but finally I could shutdown the computer, then I got a Fatal Exception error, then a red AVG window came up and said that there had been a Fatal Exception (well, duh) and it said a virus had been found - windows.ini and did I want to ignore this file - I selected "No" and Win98 promptly froze on shut down - I restarted and no virus was found on the check on start-up, I shut down and nothing bad happened again.
When I started up just now, a few hours after all that, there weren't any problems.

Is it just a bug in AVG that it thought the file where the Fatal Exception (if it was that file) occured was a virus?

Thanks,

Kat

First thing to try - sounds like you may have AVG set to perform a scheduled "full scan".
Double clikc the icon in your system tray (next to your clock), and then click the "Scheduler" tab.
If there is a tick in the box marked "Enable scheduled tests", it may be set to scan your system at a certain interval (once a week/month etc).
If you take the tick out of the box, these scheduled scans will not occur.

Gram

If you're interested in InoculateIt you can still secure a copy from this site. You won't be able to obtain virus signature updates directly through the Computer Associates (the makers) site but you can download them by going to Tools in the menubar of the program's interface and clicking AutoDownload.

xfilesgurly

I had the setup thingy of InoculateIT on my desktop PC still, so I was going to do that but I wasn't sure about downloading updates, now I know I can, so thanks - I might get rid of AVG and install it, might wait a bit, cos it's all behaving now.

Hehe thanks for the Hello Kitty site Rollin' Rog!

Kat

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online