1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

avg antivirus program

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lilaco, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilaco

lilaco Thread Starter

just checking to see if anybody has any knowledge or has been using this free antvirus program. give me both good & bad , if possible.

thanks,

herb

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Yes I do!! I like it very well.... its free & it covers e-mail as well. Matter of fact I recommend it as tops ... when you speak of a free virus scanner.

as for bad.... I have never seen or heard anything bad about it. You make sure you keep it updated & all should be fine!

Savvy :)

3. lilaco

lilaco Thread Starter

savvy lady, appreciate your reply. do they provide only monthly updates or do they also send e-m alerts when new viruses appear.

herb

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I'd set it to update weekly... you can also do it manually. I'd also set it to scan once every 24 hrs too.

5. lilaco

lilaco Thread Starter

savvylady, avg is now installed......no viruses (phew). it will do update every 24 hrs.
    what will adaware do for me.???

herb

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

It'll get rid of the spyware thats draining your system of resources while calling home to report personel info thats on you computer.

also... it will bog the system down so that in some cases not only does it cause errors but will prevent you from being able to browse.

AVG should scan your system every 24 hrs & update every few days...5 - 10 anyway.

7. lilaco

lilaco Thread Starter

savvylady, i assume update is done automatically every 5-7 days or do i have to set it up??? if so, where is setup.

herb

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

from the taskbar right click it & select "run control center"... all the configs are there... you want it to check for updates as you said every 5-7 days & you want it to scan your computer every 24 hrs... I have mine set up to scan the boot sector as well.

9. lilaco

lilaco Thread Starter

savvylady, DONE!!!!! thanks for your help. will keep my fingers crossed.

herb

10. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Oh Im sure you did fine... you got a good little virus scanner there.
    Good luck with it.

11. rhettman5

rhettman5

I have been using AVG for a few weeks, also at Savvy's suggestion, it works really well and doesn't slow my machine, what else could you want !!

As far as Add-Aware goes, if you have a computer, you NEED adaware, probably the best FREEWARE program ever, and that's saying something...Rhett

12. lilaco

lilaco Thread Starter

what does ad aware do for me????

herb

13. lilaco

lilaco Thread Starter

savvylady, avg automatically did virus scan this morning. how do you remove each days entry from the daily log???

herb

14. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I don't know why you would need to. its only a small amt of text & is only 1 or 2k in size. Im thinking you'd have to find the log file & delete it.

15. lilaco

lilaco Thread Starter

savvylady, no problem.....just thinking ahead in 1-2 years does the log get plugged. have you had any experience with roboform which is software that memorizes your password on every site you log on to????

herb

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice