1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AVG Connecting to Wrong Server

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by swirg53, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swirg53

swirg53 Thread Starter

Things began to be strange two days ago. Our web site was not available and no e-mail from our domain could be received. I can send, however. I use Outlook Express and XP Pro. I also have AVG7. I scanned with adaware and spybot and everything is clean. AVG reports no viruses. Finally, I thought about our domain being cancelled. I looked up records and sure enough our domain registration had expired. After a huge to do (which is another problem in itself), I was able to get it renewed for one year.

Giving it time to propagate (I think that is the proper term?), finally, this morning our web site came up. I was also able to get into web e-mail--that was at home and then when I came to work, we're back to square one.....OUtlook Express errors out trying to receive e-mail and our web site won't come up and I can't get into web mail.

All along, I have been able to go other places on the web. I just called a friend to see if he could bring up our web site and he could not either.

Anyway, whenever OE tries to download mail, a message appears saying:
    AVG e-mail scanner
    autopop3:connecting to portal.telid.com

Then, shortly thereafter, it gives me an error message which reads:
    The server responded with an error. Account: 'Office', Server: 'mail.kitcarsonpaint.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

We are on a LAN, with a server running Windows 2003 Server SE.........which I know very little about.

Other PCs here also uses OE for e-mail and theirs also will not work, but theirs doesn't try to connect to some off the wall mail server.

Our domain name is: kitcarsonpaint.com
    My outgoing mail server is: mail.racc2000.com
    My income mail servers is: mail.kitcarsonpaint.com

I created a whole new account in OE and told it to not include the old account when sending and receiving but otherwise using the same settings as the old account. Still gave me the same portal.telid.com error.

I tried disabling AVG e-mail scanner and then it just sat there and it errored out but it didn't try to connect to portal.telid.com (at least visibly). This error reads:
    The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Office', Server: 'mail.kitcarsonpaint.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Please help!!!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!